Thread: ipconfig.exe appears only for a fraction of a second

ipconfig.exe appears only for a fraction of a second

I have Windows XP installed on my computer. Last night I wanted to know my ip address that my router have assigned to my computer. For this I went to Start, Run and entered "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ipconfig.exe" over there. But it appeared for a fraction of a second and then just went out. I was unable to even notice what was the IP address. On the contrary I can do anything else as normal from the Run dialog box. I can launch the Windows Calculator, open Windows Registry, Windows Services window etc without any problem. Then why doesn't that work? Is this some kind of infection? I have SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes installed on this computer but both of them didn't detected anything. Please help!

Re: ipconfig.exe appears only for a fraction of a second

How did you tested your computer for the infection? Start SUPERAntiSpyware, go to Scanning Control tab, under Scanner Options check these items: "Close browsers before scanning", "Scan for tracking cookies", "Terminate memory threats before quarantining", "Please leave the others unchecked". Now get back to its main screen and then perform a computer scan of the computer. Also perform the complete scan even in MalwareBytes.

I think you are not so tech savvy, isn't it? Because ipconfig.exe is not actually an application, its instead a command-line program that you run on command prompt to know the ip address of your network interface card. If want to see the result of this program you need to run it by going to Command prompt and then type in ipconfig.

Thanks buddy, that was just a mistake made by me. Actually I was not aware about this. It is true that I am not a networking person and so I don't have much know about where to use this. I think HiSpeed also don't noticed this point and so he was telling me how to scan for malware etc. But anyways thanks for the information.

ipconfig.exe is the IP Configuration Utility of Microsoft Windows Operating System. It is located in C:\Windows\System32 folder. It is a Windows core system file. It has no visible window and so you have a window that stays for a fraction of a second. This program shows the IP addresses assigned to the local machine.