Thread: Why Airport does not have an ip address?

Why Airport does not have an ip address?

I have a Macbook Pro which has Mac OS X 10.4 installed on it. I am trying to access Internet by connecting it to the Airport express but from past few days I am not able to access Internet on the Macbook as it is giving error saying "Airport does not have an assigned IP address". The router which I am using is Linksys router. How do I solve this problem? I cant understand Why Airport does not have an ip address? Please help.

Re: Why Airport does not have an ip address?

Check the configuration of the router. Many times the configuration of the router changes when some device is added or subtracted from the network. If such a situation occurs then the devices wont be able to connect to the router. Contact your network administrator and get the router configured again. Check if the problem persists after configuration of the router.

Try doing a complete power cycle for all the devices and then check if Airport connectivity is working. To perform a power cycle, shut down all the devices and power up one by one. First start the Router and let the light stabilize. Once the light stabilizes, start the Airport Express and let it stabilize. Only after Airport express stabilizes, start the Macbook Pro and connect it to Airport Express. Hopefully the Internet connectivity will work without any problem.

I will suggest that you configure the IP address of the Macbook Pro and then check if the Internet is working or not. Sometimes the Macbook is not able to get the IP address assigned which will give rise to such problem. To configure the IP address of the Macbook, Open the system preferences and Select Network. Put the IP address which is provided by the ISP and see if the Macbook is able to connect to the Airport express or not.

The problem can be with the operating system which is installed on the Macbook. Sometimes the files which are related to the operating systems do not work properly due to which some features or functions of the operating system does not work properly. To resolve such issue, insert the installation disk and install the operating system on the Macbook, using the install/archive mode. Let the procedure complete and see if the problem is solved or not.

Check if the computer is allowing the DHCP to assign IP address or not. Sometimes due to changes in the preferences, the DHCP is not able to assign IP address to the computer. Hence change the preferences of the computer and see if it works. Follow the steps and see if it helps, Open System Preferences --and click on Network-- Select AirPort and click on TCP/IP and make sure 'Configure IPv4' is set to 'Using DHCP'. Save and reboot the system.

Try the following and see if it helps. Click on System preferences and select Network. Select Locations and click on New location. Now configure the connection once again at the new location and see if the problem is solved or not. First try DHCP and see if the IP address is assigned or not. If the DHCP does not work then you will have to configure the IP address manually.