Thread: Transfer files via ethernet from one Macbook to another

Transfer files via ethernet from one Macbook to another

Hello there, I have recently bought a new Macbook pro which is having Mac OS X Snow leopard on it. I want to transfer data from my old Macbook to the new Macbook. So please suggest some ways in which I can transfer data from the old Macbook to the new Macbook. Also can I Transfer files via ethernet from one Macbook to another? Please help.

Re: Transfer files via ethernet from one Macbook to another

The best way to transfer the data from one computer to the other is to use an external hard drive. Plug in the hard drive to the old Macbook and copy the files which are required on the hard drive. Then connect the hard drive to the new Macbook and transfer the data from the hard drive to the new Macbook. This is far more better and fast solution for the problem.

Yes it is possible to transfer the data from one Macbook to the other over Ethernet. You will require a Cat 5 straight cable for connecting the two computers with each other. After connecting the Macbooks using the ethernet cable, configure the IP addresses of the both the computers and see if the files can be transferred or not.

Thanks for replying to the post really fast. As suggested I got the Cat 5 and connected the two Macbooks using the cable. But I am not able to transfer files from the old Macbook as I dont know how to configure the IP addresses of the Macbooks. So can you please help me in configuring both the Macbooks to transfer the file? Any help is highly appreciated.

Once both the Macbooks are connected using a Single Ethernet cable.
    Now on one of the Macbook, Open the System Preferences and then select Network preferences. Now select Ethernet and select manual instead of DHCP. Configure the IP address to 192.168.x.x and configure the subnet mask accordingly. Configure the same settings on the second Macbook and see if you are able to transfer the data over ethernet.

I followed all the steps which you have suggested for configuring the two macbooks but still I am not able to transfer any data from two Macbooks. I am not able to see the data on the old Macbook from the new Macbook and hence not able to transfer the data. Therefore It would be great if some help regarding this provided.

Even if the two computers are connected via ethernet cable and configured you will not see the shared files directly. You will have to use Finder to locate the files on the other Macbook. Connect to the old Macbook using new Macbook through Finder and copy all the files from the old macbook on the new Macbook. Hope it works for you.