Thread: Need help with an E-mail annoyance

Need help with an E-mail annoyance

For the past several weeks..perhaps going back a few months, I have been receiving (in my junk mail fortunately) continous messages claiming I have won, or that I'm the beneficary of several million dollars. I know this is a scam. I just delete them. But what I want to know is how can I put an end to this? I have even received one or two with the FBI in the subject line. These were fowarded to FBI so they can investigate. I suspect someone is getting my e-mail address from resume postings for jobs on Yahoo or elsewhere. I don't know how to block several different e-mail address. I block one and another pops up. What do I do??? I really like to know if there is a creative way to deal with this. By that, if you know how I can strike back, I would like to know. I hate these (fill in the blank).

Re: Need help with an E-mail annoyance

Well, many of the spam email you get has a link somewhere in side the message it self to unsubscribe. Not all but many of them.

To protect against spam, the first alternative, radical, is to change email address, which means to inform all its address book. The second solution is to filter the messages you receive in your email program. The tool works on the principle of analysis "Bayesian" which requires a learning phase. After a few days of learning, the result is spectacular and almost all spam is automatically deleted.

1 / Never buy anything, use any service, which makes the spam ads!
    Spammers usually spam to make money. If we abstain from them to win by this means is that we win and we will release the spam! The rule is an opt-in, ie the prior consent of users before they can send them by email of commercial solicitations or advertising.

2 / Never respond to spam.
    Of course, they say they unsubscribe you from their email lists. Not true! All they want is to see if your email address is valid. If you answer, knowing that there is somebody at the end of this email, they sell it to every spammer on the planet and you'd be even more spammed!

3 / Do not give your email address without knowing how it will be used.
    If a website asks for your email address, is that it has to do something! Read the Terms of Service records and respect for privacy on the web sites before giving them your address. If you do not find these references on the sites, do not give it to your address.

4 / Use a spam filter.
    Spam software can help them better manage their email software to automatically sort your mail from spam and even to delete many spam before they arrive in your mailboxes!

Quote Originally Posted by maq.h View Post
    Well, many of the spam email you get has a link somewhere in side the message it self to unsubscribe. Not all but many of them.

To protect against spam, the first alternative, radical, is to change email address, which means to inform all its address book. The second solution is to filter the messages you receive in your email program. The tool works on the principle of analysis "Bayesian" which requires a learning phase. After a few days of learning, the result is spectacular and almost all spam is automatically deleted.
    Fortunately, I have not responded to any of the messages. But from what you're saying, is this a program? I have so many contacts, it would be impossible to change address. So filtering seems my best alternative. ANd there is no unsubscribe link. These messages are coming from either UK or Kenya, or somewhere in S. Africa with names that have no vowels...only constsonants. Reminds me of a funny "Car Talk" segment on consonants from names in that country.

Alright mate, than the best solution for you is an application named SpamBayes that allows you to stop all unwanted emails easyli. I found a great post regarding this application describing the installation, filtering and configuration. I hope this will work for you, just go through it: Be protected from unwanted emails

Quote Originally Posted by maq.h View Post
    Alright mate, than the best solution for you is an application named SpamBayes that allows you to stop all unwanted emails easyli. I found a great post regarding this application describing the installation, filtering and configuration. I hope this will work for you, just go through it: Be protected from unwanted emails
    Thanks for the info. I read your link and I just want to make sure I'm understand this. Does this block spam from mail? or is it something that just gives me the option to deleate? I would prefer to just not have show up in my mail whatsoever. I'm also glad I saw in the info that the unsubscribe may also be a scam too. Just saw a spam yesterday for another million dollar offer and no unscribe at bottom. And I am using yahoo. Not sure how this works with yahoo.

Yeah, thats true. Even i read there mentioned in the post that SpamBayes works with Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail and Thunderbird, Incredimail, and generally with all software that supports the POP3 accounts. But not mentioned anywhere about Yahoo or Gmail. So, we need to search for such similar application that can work with Yahoo as well. Am sure there might be some application.

Thanks. I appreciate the assistance. Already nuts from trying to block every address.

I think I may have some good news to report. Yahoo has changed their page with some apparent security updates. Don't like the look, but nonetheless, it may be what is best. In the last couple of days, I have not seen one spam message telling me I am to hold several million dollars, or I inheirented someones fortune. I think I even reported that a couple of the spam messages were bold enough to claim to be from FBI. Those were forwarded to approiated people. But all-in-all, I think the new update has eliminated the crap from crooks. But I hope I'm not speaking too early and wind up getting more crap in next day or so. Fingers are crossed. What bugs the hell out me is how did my e-mail address get in their greedy fingers? Thats what I want to know.

Well if you disclose or type or leave your email address on any website then it is possible for spammers/hackers to send you spam email and all. Therefore, to effectively fight spam, several measures are necessary, one of which is the SMTP authentication. Some spammers are more easily detectable. SMTP authentication prevents spammers to remain anonymous. This allows customers of the Service Package Classic to send electronic messages with the usual email and also when moving from hotspots, led to increased security with unrestricted use requires a small change in the configuration of your email program can be used with all service packages and almost all Bluewin e-mail programs.