Thread: Open PCMCIA card

Open PCMCIA card

Hi all,
    I have a laptop with a PCMCIA card reader but apparently I do not have the software that takes into account these cards. When I insert a PCMCIA card, nothing happens, I can not read. Is there a need for particular software to read this? Is to retrieve data from these maps and integrate them into software archive (holdings of curves, etc. ...). Also I think that there is some problem and since it is out of warranty I am thinking to take it out. Please tell me how to open up a pcmcia notebook card without damaging it.?? Hope that someone will help me soon.!!

Re: Open PCMCIA card

I didn't get your point exactly. You have a laptop, and you have a card reader or built then you have a PCMCIA port, where you put a multi-format card reader for reading memory cards. When you plug a memory card reader on a PCMCIA port is automatically recognized as a new device. It may happen that it takes a pilot, and then he gets on the site of the PCMCIA card manufacturer. It would be better if you will be more clear.!!

Actually it's the laptop from work. I have to use to centralize data from 5 machines, each with their PCMCIA card. I did a test with a card, I inserted into the integrated reader on the mobile home and nothing happens. I'm going to see on the site card manufacturer that I (while waiting for your help!) Anyways extremely thanks for the help.!!

I understand better. You want to be automatic with maps showing data. You put these cards in your PCMCIA slot on your computer and nothing happens. (That's where I got it all wrong?). When you look in My Computer, the card you inserted does not?? Also I would like to suggest you to not open the lappy for PCMCIA card. If you are not having enough knowledge about it then you may face some problems with the hardware peripherals later.!! Better give it to service center or someone who has enough knowledge about it.

Exactly, you've got it. When I inserted the card but nothing happens and the job I meet my readers and my records, but nothing that matches my PCMCIA card. I have not found drivers on the net, but is there not a command to type in "execute" for the computer to take it into account? Either that or the drivers. So what you think.?!! Where should be the problem residing.?? Would be really grateful.!!

Hello. Have you tried that your PCMCIA card works fine on another computer..?? Otherwise try this :
    You boot the PC> you get back in the Bios on startup you an indication "press X key to enter setup". X is the key where it is then necessary to press (Esc, F1, etc. It depends on the computer) to enter the BIOS> Power you seek> Then you seek PCMCIA Power> option must be "enabled", enabled, if you change> you save your changes by leaving the bios (save and exit "it says what key to activate the bottom of the screen of BIOS).

Also, attention, even if the slot and connector are identical, there are many types as there are several types of cards :
    • the PCMCIA (16 bit)
    • the pc-card (32 bit)
    • the ZV port (32bits accelerated).

Compatibility is upward but not downward :
    an old computer with a PCMCIA port can not read maps zv pc-card or passport. Moreover, the ports (and cards) and PCMCIA PC card are available in several thicknesses (I-II-III) even if the connectors are the same. A Type III PCMCIA card such as volume occupies two ports ... (There is almost no more: it was originally either modems or network cards, hard drives be the first to this standard, relatively thick).