Thread: Upgrade Belkin G Wireless Router to DD-WRT firmware

Upgrade Belkin G Wireless Router to DD-WRT firmware

Hello there, I need some suggestions regarding this topic. I have a Belkin G Wireless router which is configured to work with the home network which I am using. Now I want to connect the FTA box to the router using a physical connection. I have heard that I will have to upgrade the firmware of the router to DD-WRT firmware. So I want to know if I can Upgrade Belkin G Wireless Router to DD-WRT firmware? Any suggestions/solutions are more than welcome.

Re: Upgrade Belkin G Wireless Router to DD-WRT firmware

There is an user manual provided with every model of the router. The user manual contains all the information which is required about the router. Hence I will suggest that you refer the user manual and check if the router is compatible with the firmware version which you are trying to install on it. If the router is not compatible with the firmware, then installing the firmware may lead to router not working properly.

The list of all the routers which are compatible with the DD-WRT firmware is available on the official website of DD-WRT firmware. Check the list and see if model of the router which you are using is listed in it or not. If the model of the router which you are using is not listed, then there is no use in installing the firmware as it will not work on the router. If the router is supported then download the firmware and install it on the router.

I checked the list of all the compatible routers for the DD-WRT firmware and the router is compatible with the firmware. I downloaded the firmware on the computer, but dont know how to install the firmware on the router. So if you can tell me step by step procedure of installing the firmware of the router, then it would be really helpful.

As you have downloaded the firmware update on the computer, you will be able to install it on the router without any problems. Connect the router to the computer, using a console cable. Login to the router by using the default IP address of the router. Provide the authentication information and open the system maintenance tab. Click on Update firmware button and provide the file for the updated firmware and let the procedure complete.

I updated the firmware of the router to DD-WRT firmware but I am not able to access Internet on the computer. I am dont have much of a networking knowledge and hence I am not able to figure out what is causing such problem. Is it due to firmware update which is installed on the router? Please help.

Once the firmware of the router is updated, all the settings and configuration of the router are lost. Hence to make it work, you will have to configure the router again to make the Internet work on the computer. You can get the settings from the ISP and configure the router as per the settings provided. Once the router is configured, save the settings and reboot the router. See if it helps.