Thread: ALFA Network AWUS036H 500mW Wifi USB Adapter and Packet Injection

ALFA Network AWUS036H 500mW Wifi USB Adapter and Packet Injection

Here I have a laptop with 2 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, a good graphics card, in short, a PC powerful enough to run BackTrack3 and VirtualBox. So I installed VirtualBox that is exactly like in VM2007 can be better now then what it supports Linux. Now I am facing a problem with the ALFA Network AWUS036H 500mW Wifi USB Adapter and Packet Injection. I always get the standard error message a message where stood what can be the problem. My aireplay command is : "Aireplay-ng -1 0-e WLAN-NAME-a 00:11: XX: XX: XX: XX - H 00:11:22:33:44:55 wlan0". Also I am now thinking of buying another one. So, also please suggest the points that I should check before buying.!!
    Last edited by Dewei; 11-05-2010 at 03:58 AM.

Re: ALFA Network AWUS036H 500mW Wifi USB Adapter and Packet Injection

To crack the wireless network, I think using a USB key, that's good I think using a wrench USB, because I did not drive a PCMCIA card, my computer has a floppy Express Card (Express Card) so unless there is an adapter CBS (Express Card) PCMCIA card adapter that is recognized by baktrack especially by VirtualBox I would use. But since I am not at all as VB (virtualbox) recognizes CBS while I would use a USB wifi, again my USB connectivity are recognized and I think I could recognize a key Wifi.

There are two Manufacturers Involved with wireless cards. The first is the brand of the card itself. Examples of card Manufacturers are Netgear, Linksys and D-Link. The second manufacturer is who makes the wireless chipset Within the card. This is the most important company to know. Unfortunately, it is Sometimes the hardest to determine. Because this card is Generally Manufacturers do not want to reveal What They use inside Their card. However, for Our Purposes, It Is Critical To know the wireless chipsets manufacturer. Knowing the wireless chipset manufacturer Allows you to determine Which are Supported operating systems, software drivers and What You Need Associated with them are limitations.

You Need to first determine What wireless chipset your card uses. Can this be done by one or more of These techniques :
    1. Search the internet for "<your model> chipset card" or "linux <your model> card." Remove Often You Can find references To What chipset your card uses and / or Other People's experiences.
    2. You May Also have a look at windows driver file names, it's Often the name of the chipset, or the driver to use.
    3. Check the card Manufacturers page. Sometimes What They Say They use chipset.
    4. Have a look at lspci-vv output for descriptions, PCI id and kernel modules used.

If You Are Deciding on Which card to purchase, check the " Which is the best card to buy? "section on this page. There are many Considerations That should go Into your purchase decision :
    • Existing Hardware compatibility with your equipment.
    • Price and Availability of the card.
    • Availability of software drivers for your particular operating system and Intended use of the software.
    • How active is software Development for the drivers you need.
    • How much peer support and documentation is available for the card and software drivers.

Nowadays the best chipset is Atheros. Supported It is very well under Linux, And Also under Windows. Neither Any support wireless USB devices. The latest madwifi-ng patch makes it possible to inject raw 802.11 packets in Either in Managed and Monitor mode at Arbitrary b / g speeds. The madwifi-ng driver is Used for the Atheros chipsets. This driver does not support Any USB atheros devices. However, Atheros Acquired Zydas Which makes USB chipsets (zd1211 and zd1211b). Atheros has renamed this chipset to AR5007UG. The AR5007UG chipset is NOT Supported by the madwifi-ng driver and is not a recommended chipset.

The Awus036h Alfa Network Adapter is a Wi-Fi USB for connecting to a secure manner (WEP , WPA & WPA2) to Wi-Fi standard IEEE 802.11b / 802.11g and receive speed data transfer up to 54 Mbps in the frequency bands 2.4 GHz . The Awus036h can be configured either way infrastructure or mode ad-hoc mode or either router . The Awus036h is equipped the chipset RTL8187L REALTEK which is compatible with operating systems Windows , Linux and Mac OS X . The Awus036h can reach a maximum power of 30dBm (500mW) and a maximum sensitivity of-92dBm.

Hello. Currently I'm here in Saudi Arabia and the temperature at mid-noon is at 45 to 48 degrees centigrade. Can this WIFI Adapter stand the heat if I'll place this in my building's rooftop and exposed to the heat of the sun? I'll definitely cover this against the sun's direct heat but what I mean is the temperature which is still so hot outside. My understanding when this was introduced in Saudi market that means it can stand the heat but I only want to make sure if it does. Appreciate your reply.

Hi raven120461,

Yes, I think there wont be any issue of heating by covering the ALFA Network AWUS036H 500mW against the given temperature. The operating voltage is Operating Voltage DC 5V ± 5% and the Temperature to withstand is @ Operating: 0°C ~ +50°C and @ Storage : -10°C ~ +65°C for the ALFA Network AWUS036H 500mW Wifi USB Adapter.