Thread: Ping Server Domain Name Resolves wrong IP?

Ping Server Domain Name Resolves wrong IP?

I am facing a weird problem with my computer. I have a computer which is running on Windows 2000 server. The problem which I am facing is that, when I ping the domain name in which the computer is connected, it returns an IP address which is not in the range of the domain. So if anybody can tell me why Ping Server Domain Name Resolves wrong IP? Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Ping Server Domain Name Resolves wrong IP?

I think the problem is with the operating system which you are using. The proper working of the operating system of the computer depends on lot of files which are associated to it. If any of the file which is associated to the operating system is corrupt or missing on the system, then the operating system will not work properly. Repair or reinstall the current operating system on the computer and then check if the same problem persists.

The system is infected with Virus according to me. Virus's are malicious programs which when downloaded on the computer infect system files. If such a situation occurs then problems which are similar to the ones you are facing are faced. Hence scan the system with an updated antivirus and check for all the files which are corrupted. Repair or quarantine the files which are infected and see if the problem is solved or not.

I think there is some problem with the configuration of the network due to which the IP address is not getting resolved properly. I would suggest that you contact your network administrator and get the configuration of the network checked. Once the problem in the network is rectified you will not solve such problems.

Sometimes the look up table of the DNS server gets populated with invalid entries. If such a situation occurs then the address and name resolution will not occur properly. Therefore I would suggest that you check the DNS records for the DNS server and check if there are any invalid entries. Remove the invalid entries and check if the problem is solved or not.

If the NIC card is faulty then you will face such problems while pinging the domain server. There is a software interface port configured for testing on every NIC card. You can use this software interface port for testing of the card. To test the NIC card, ping "127.0.0.1" and check if there are any data loss while sending and receiving the data. If there is any error in sending and receiving the data, then you will have to replace the NIC as it is faulty.

Have you checked the physical connection on the network. I suspect that there is some problem with the physical connection of devices on the network. To be sure about the physical connection of all the devices, disconnect all the devices and then connect them again. After reconnecting all the devices, check if the problem persists or not.

hi,

have you assigned multiple ip's to the domain controller. check which all ip's are assigned to the domain controller. Have you installed vmware or any virtualization software ont he dc as it creates virtual ip's which ultimatelys gets updated in the dns