Thread: How to get domain names of Logged on users

How to get domain names of Logged on users

Hello there, I have a small query for which I need your help. I want an Application program interface (API) which will fetch the domain names of all the users who are currently logged in. If there is no such API present then How to get domain names of Logged on users? Any suggestions/solutions are more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to get domain names of Logged on users

You do not require any application program interface to access the domain names of the users which are logged in. If you are using an Windows NT operating system, the domain name can be accessed by accessing the registry key. To access the domain name access the following entry "DefaultDomainName" at the location
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion\\Winlogon"
    Same works on all the operating systems which are released later.

Yes accessing the value at the suggested registry key really helped in fetching the domain names of all the users which are logged on to the computer at the same time. Now I want to know if there is any API which will show all the computer which are present on the LAN? Also which operating systems will support the API? Thanks a ton.

There is one thing you can do about getting information of all the computers on the LAN. Use SDK function SHGetSpecialFolderLocation() and provide CSIDL_NETWORK as the 2nd parameter to it. The function will now return a pointer to systems ITEMIDLIST structure to the folder which is mentioned. Use the obtained pointer in the following function SHGetFileInfo() which will help you in getting all the information about the computers which are connected on the LAN.

Wnetenumresource is one of the API which you can use to get the information about all the computers under a particular domain. The application works nearly on all the Windows operating systems which are released after Windows 95. Hence you can download and install the API on the computer and see if the information about all the computers is available or not.

Wnetenumresource is an API which is developed by Microsoft. You can get all the information about Wnetenumresource on the official website of microsoft. Refer the official website of Microsoft and configure Wnetenumresource as per your requirement. Once the Wnetenumresource is configured, you will not face the same while getting all the information about the computers which are connected on the network.