Thread: Macbook Pro 5,1 DWA-643 issue

Macbook Pro 5,1 DWA-643 issue

Hello there, I have a Macbook pro which is installed with Mac OS X 10.3 and has Vmware installed. Using Vmware I run Backtrack 4 on the Macbook pro. I have a D-Link DWA-643 wireless adapter but the problem is I am not able to use the adapter while using Backtrack 4 on the Macbook. I am not a computer savvy and hence I cannot figure out what is causing such problem. So if anybody else is facing similar Macbook Pro 5,1 DWA-643 issue then please share some information which might help me in solving the issue. Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: Macbook Pro 5,1 DWA-643 issue

Check if Backtrack 4 is installed properly on the macbook or not. Every application which is installed on the computer have lot of files which are associated to it. If any of the files which is associated to the application is missing on the system then the application or the operating system will not work properly. Hence I would suggest that you reinstall Backtrack on the Macbook and see if it helps.

I think the wireless adapter which you are using is faulty due to which it is not getting detected on the system. The portable USB devices tend to develop faults more easily. Check if the wireless adapter is working or not by connecting it to some other computer. If the device is working properly on the other computer, then the Macbook which you are using needs to be troubleshooted, otherwise you will have to replace the wireless adapter.

Check if the drivers for the wireless adapter are installed and working on the Macbook. For a device to work properly on the system, a set of drivers are to be installed on the computer. Drivers act as the mediator between the device and the operating system. Hence if the appropriate drivers are not installed then the device will not work properly. Therefore check if the proper drivers are installed and working on the computer. Also update the drivers if necessary.

Have you tried doing a SMC reset on the Macbook. All the new Macbooks which are powered by an Intel processors have their lower level functions controlled by the SMC. If the SMC is not working properly, then the computer will not detect any new device which is plugged in. Therefore I will suggest that you perform a SMC reset and see if the wireless adapter is detected or not. To perform a SMC reset, shut down the laptop and remove the battery. Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. Replace the battery. Check if the wireless adapter gets detected.

Residual charge storage can be one of the reasons why the wireless card is not working. All the portable devices face the problem with the residual charge storage. Residual charge gets stored near the logic board of the Macbook. If the residual charge crosses the threshold level then the system will not be able to access some components of the computer. Hence try and remove the residual charge from the Macbook and then see if the wireless card is working properly on the Macbook.

I was also facing similar issue with the Dlink USB wireless adapter which I was using. The Vmware software did not detect the wireless adapter and hence network connection was not available while using Vmware. The problem was later solved by reinstalling the Vmware on the computer. Hence I would suggest that you install Vmware again on the computer and then check if the system is working properly or not.