Thread: Replace Macbook Pro Wireless Card

Replace Macbook Pro Wireless Card

I have been using Mac systems for a while now and have never faced such problems with it before. I have a Macbook Pro which is installed with Mac OS X 10.5 installed on it. The problem which I am facing is I am not able to use the Wireless internet while using Backtrack 4 on VMWARE. I am not sure what is causing such problem and hence need your help. Will I have to Replace Macbook Pro Wireless Card? If yes then which card to select.

Re: Replace Macbook Pro Wireless Card

Most of the problems related to the MAC systems are solved by doing a PRAM reset. If the RAM of the system gets flooded with the invalid entries then the operating system will not work properly. Hence to bring the Macbook back to working state, you will have to clear all the invalid entries from the system memory. To perform a PRAM reset, shut down the laptop and locate the following keys (R, P, Apple and Option). Press and hold the following keys while booting the computer. Keep the keys pressed till three startup chimes are heard. As soon as the third startup chime is heard, release the button and let the system boot.

The wireless or the Airport card in the Macbook pro is not integrated on the motherboard but is mounted on the motherboard and a connecting wire is used to connect the motherboard to the network card. Hence you can change the Airport card on the Macbook Pro without any problems. Take the Macbook to the nearest Apple service center and get it replaced. You will have to pay for the network card, if the Macbook is out of warranty.

The only way to replace the Wireless card on Macbook is to replace the entire logic board of the Macbook. The wireless card on the macbook is integrated on the logic board of the Macbook. Therefore it is very difficult to replace only the wireless card of Macbook. Hence to change the Wireless card on the system, you will have to change the entire logic board.

Even if you change the wireless card on the Macbook, you wont be able to use it while using Backtrack4 on Vmware. Vmware will not be able to access the internal wireless card hence there is no use in changing the wireless card on the system. Many people have stated the same problem while using Vmware on Macbook for which the software developers are trying to release a patch which will solve the problem. I will suggest that you wait till the software patch is released and then decide to change the wireless card on the Macbook or not.

There is no use in changing the network adapter on the Macbook pro as VMware will not be able to access the internal wireless card. Vmware machines can only use usb wireless adapters for accessing network. Therefore instead of buying an Wireless card for Macbook, you can get a USB wireless adapter which will definitely work on VMware.

hello guys , im planning to upgrade my macbook pro wireless network card . if so will my mac address change and is that a problem? coz i heard some where if my mac address change my internet will be disabled... thanks