Thread: Splinter Cell Conviction on LAN doesn't work

Splinter Cell Conviction on LAN doesn't work

I was eagerly waiting for the Splinter Cell Conviction to be released and now when I have installed it on the computer, I am facing some problems with it. I have a desktop computer running on Windows 7 and has a graphic card installed. The game lags intermittently and I am not able to play the game online or on LAN. I want to play the game on LAN with my friends but it does not let me connect to any servers. It says "Servers are unavailable". I cannot understand why Splinter Cell Conviction on LAN doesn't work and hence need your help. Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: Splinter Cell Conviction on LAN doesn't work

As the game is not working properly on the computer, I would suggest that you check the installed version of the game. There are lot of files which are associated to the game. If any of the file which is associated to the game is missing or corrupt then the game will not work properly. Try to uninstall the game and remove all the files/keys which are related to the game from the computer. After restarting the computer, reinstall the game and check if the problem persists or not.

To play the game online, UBISOFT has started many online game servers using which many people can play in Co-operative mode. Start the game and go to the multiplayer section. Click on Refresh button to renew the available server list. Join the server which is having a very low latency. If the server is password protected, you can get the password from the official UBISOFT website by providing the Key.

You wont be able to play the game on LAN if the computer is protected by some firewall. If any firewall is installed on the computer, it will tend to block all the unknown traffic terminating on the computer for security reasons. Try and move the process of the game to the trusted applications list of the Firewall and check if there are any servers are available. You can also try and disable the firewall completely and see if there is any improvement.

To play the game on LAN you can also use HAMACHI or TUNNGLE which are virtual LAN softwares. Using HAMACHI and TUNNGLE will help you create your own server on the virtual network which you can set up. You can also join any virtual network which is already created for the game and play on the available servers. The advantage of using HAMACHI and TUNNGLE is that the latency for the game is very low while playing online.

To be able to play the game online you will have to configure the router properly. I was also facing the same problem while playing the game. The game used to give "Servers are unavailable" error message while trying to play on LAN. I tried to figure out the problem and finally found out that the problem is with the router. The router was not configured due to which the game was not able to contact to the remote server. Hence configure the router properly and then check if the game is working properly or not.

Many games have a compatibility issue with Windows 7. If the game is not supported by the operating system then the game will either not run at all or will give some problems while running. The list of all the games which are compatible with Windows 7 is available online. Check the list and see if the game which you are trying to play is supported by the operating system or not. If the game is not supported then there is nothing much you can do about it.

Exclamation Re: Splinter Cell Conviction on LAN doesn't work

I was attempting to play Splinter Cell: Conviction with my brother over LAN, and we encountered the same problem as you, Colten.
    We often could not locate each other's games, and when we could, we faced connection errors and were unable to join.

But we have found a solution! I hope it works for you as well as it did for us!

(Guide provided, courtesy of my brother.)

A lot of people have been having trouble connecting to other players via LAN in Splinter Cell Conviction. For my brother and I, the network game would not show up on any other LAN screens when the game was created.

We searched the Internet for a solution to this problem to no avail. However, we have recently stumbled upon a solution ourselves!

What the deal is, is that the game tries to use your primary network adapter in Windows 7 (and possibly Windows Vista), so if your primary adapter is set up wrong then the game will fail to broadcast correctly.

What you need to do is change the heirarchy of your network adapters to put the important one (the one that you want to use for your Splinter Cell Conviction connection) at the top of the list!

To solve this problem, do the following:

1. Click Start and in the search bar type 'View network connections' (Click on the appropriate icon).

2. Hit Alt to open your Menu Bar (if you cannot see it) and click on the Advanced menu and choose Advanced Settings.

3. In the Connections List select the connection that you are trying to connect over and use the green up arrow to move it to the top.

(Note: It's a smart idea to write down this heirarchy in case it causes problems for other programs, that way you can come back here and restore it.)

For me, 'Wireless Network Connection' was the one I moved to the top. If you're connecting through a network cable then it will probably be 'Local Area Connection' and if you're trying to connect through Hamachi then you'll need to move 'Hamachi' to the top.

If you try this while your game is open and it doesn't work be sure to try restarting your game.

Good luck everybody and if this post helps you please post so that the forum admins know to sticky this!