Thread: Virus problem in Kubuntu

Virus problem in Kubuntu

Hi,
    I have a Kubuntu desktop system is 24 hours connected to Internet. I had found some files in my system which were detected as virus in Windows PC. I want to know that does there is a need for antivirus for Linux systems. Does they are enough strong to fight with the current threats. I had even thought of using Antivirus in a linux machine. What do you think about the same.

Re: Virus problem in Kubuntu

Whatever one may say or just think I think it's better to put an antivirus on Linux, because any Windows viruses are transmitted in any way. For that I use Clam AntiVirus. You'll have to also install Clam AntiVirus which is the GUI based antivirus. It is nice antivirus and offers you manual and automatic operations. It has even not located any virus but though precaution is better than cure.

If you are a novice in Linux then there are many things that you will have to learn to manage, but for comparison with Windows viruses is not even possible. To give you an idea I am using Linux for more than 2 years and it is always connected to adsl, yet never had any problems. I know a lot of people under linux, and I have not met anyone who got a problem of a virus.

However, one element to consider is that if Windows is so viruses, in part because it is the most widespread and is therefore almost exclusively targeted viruses. But for nearly a year now, Linux and FOSS in general take an increasing importance.Moreover, a study to determine the targets of viruses and hackers showed that Windows kept the lead, but already the presaged study as MacOS and Linux could sooner or later become a target Preferred potential.

The firewall built into Linux enough to fight with any virus issue on the system. The failure to use Internet Explorer and Outlook decreases the likelihood of viruses and spam. I am using Konqueror, Mozilla 1.7.7 which is a browser plus mail service plus page html editor and Thunderbird. There are dozens of virus for Linux also but the security of Linux is quiet powerful.

If you found any virus then you can clear it by the following step. First boot with a Linux Live CD/DVD or Rescue CD/DVD and then erase the entire drive with the command dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda, assuming that /dev/sda is your hard drive. Then install OS. The only way to remove the viru completely is cleaning up the boot sector first and then the entire disc.