Thread: Setting a FQDN?

Setting a FQDN?

Hi,
    In a Debain based system I had found that sometimes it identify itself by a name. Like for a proposed hostnamed time which is usually managed by the kernel. In my system the initscript /etc/init.d/hostname.sh is usually th hostname which is set at the time of booting via the hostname command and the same is stoerd in /etc/hostame. I think this must have the hostname only rather than the full domain name. Here I get a bit confused in configuration of FQDN.

Re: Setting a FQDN?

The /etc/host is the place where your system lies. Here you need to work on some settings. The mailserver has its config file which is located in /etc/exim/exim.conf. This is default location of config file which is quiet similar to apache. I am listing some of my settings on /etc/hosts. Lets assume that I have a 000.000.000.000 dynamic ip. This rotates very time. Now if you run your own dns then you will does not need to configure FQDN which needs to be on the name server. The service will respond you properly.

I have some settings here but that works for System Center Configuration Manager 2007. So might this solution can help you. For it is necessary that the DNS server much be registered as FQDN for the site system to run. It is quiet a nice support for Internet-based client management. For configuring this you have to enter the Configuration Manager console > System CenterConfiguration Manager > Site Database > Site Management > site information > Site Settings > Site Systems.

There are various ways to get FQDN setup run on your system. You can configure your domain name here. The host name in first entered in your DNS database and then just ensure that a single pc is configured on this. At this time you will get a user id which you can find in the shell. You can go for help on some more commands which are available on Ubuntu forums.

FQDN literally means Fully Qualified Domain Name, which could be translated as Hostname fully appointed. A mail server should be fully appointed on the Internet. A mail server cannot be called server but it is imperative to have a full name like serveur.domaine.tld. Here your site name is the host name and the xyz.com acts as the mail server here.

Mail servers that communicate without FQDN are generally regarded as Zombi posts, users infected with a trojan. Today, most ISPs and hosters systematically refuse all mail from mail servers not entirely appointed. Thus, a mail server FQDN not see more than 65% of emails rejected. On a mail server, this type of configuration error should be carefully avoided, especially since the setup is very simple to make a server FQDN. For this simply specify in / etc / hosts the name of the server, then restart the mail service.