Thread: Wine and Web Server in Linux

Wine and Web Server in Linux

Hello,
    I test whether propriety Win apps run with Wine. My question is simple: we wonder if it is possible to realize a Web server and applications based on Wine. Let me explain, the server is a Linux server (Debian) Apache and PHP. We wanted a web interface which will be asked to execute commands launched via Wine. Also, do make such a server is possible and if so, is it reliable in terms of safety but also resources (we are considering many internal connections in my case)? Any discussion on this is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Linux Wine and Web Server

Hello,
    What type of application is it? You do not have the source? While many people will connect to the application performance will not be taking huge. In addition there is a gui or console application? Are you speaking of the CGI? If you have any more queries then please let me know. Also, you can try the first option and see if this works for you.

Re: Wine and Web Server in Linux

Hello,
    I have a similar kind of problem. There are applications in bio informatics. Exe. As it comes from a "big" biotech, the sources we are naturally rejected. Finally, this application is running in console mode. We wanted to be able to launch them via a cgi script (perl for example) but you confirmed my opinion of poor performance.

Hello,
    What is the execution time of the application? I mean, you spear combine time on average? You can very well execute the exe file as cgi, you do not need to use a perl script (after all, you'll need as a Wapper argument for the method through post / get http as the program did no cgi). This does not cost anything to test you, it happen without too great loss of performance.

Hello,
    Yes, but the problem is precisely that these applications take a long time: approximately 5 minutes. So, if everyone using these applications, it saturates very quickly. So, if you have any other solution than this, then it would be great. Also, the one which you have mentioned in your post, I have tried it but it does not work. Thanks in advance.

Hello,
    Indeed it is much too long to turn into an executable CGI application. And wine will degrade performance even more. I do not really see the solution to your problem. You can try and limit the number of CGI access to users was 2-3. First try this, if you have further more problem then post the error you are getting.