Thread: Can I share my BSNL USB EVDO connection over Wifi?

Can I share my BSNL USB EVDO connection over Wifi?

Hello people, I have a desktop computer which has Windows XP installed on it. I have just got a BSNL EVDO connection on the computer. Now I want to share the same connection with my Laptop which is working on Windows Vista. Therefore I want to know, can I share my bsnl usb evdo connection over wifi ? Any suggestions about the topic are more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: Can I share my BSNL USB EVDO connection over Wifi?

No there is no way in which you can share the same Evdo connection between two different computers. Evdo USB modem are specially designed to provide internet connection to a single computer. The EVDO usb modems have a single static IP due to which only single device can use it to connect to internet. If more than one device is used to connect to internet using EVDO USB modem then IP duplication will take place which will lead to disconnection of computer from the network.

You will have to buy a wireless router in order to share the connection between two computer. To share the connection successfully between two computers using same EVDO connection, connect the EVDO modem to the wireless router. Configure the EVDO modem in Bridge mode and configure the router to share the connection. You will have to get the required settings for sharing the connection using router from the Internet service provider.

The best solution to your problem is to contact BSNL and ask them if the connection can be shared between two computers or not. Many of the Internet service providers do not allow the sharing of connection between different computers. The ISP's track the MAC address of the computers which are using there services. Tracking MAC address helps the ISP to differentiate services to the computers which are connected to the modem. Therefore before implementing any hardware solutions to share the connection, be confirmed that the ISP supports sharing of connection.

To share the connection from the BSNL EVDO USB modem, the desktop computer which you are using should have a network interface card with a Wireless capability. If the NIC of the desktop computer has wireless capability, then follow the steps below :-
    • Enable wifi card on the desktop.
    • Connect internet through EVDO
    • Click on network and sharing center and click on manage networks
    • Add a new WEP network and name it as mynetwork
    • set a authentication password
    • Click next and select the option to share the internet connection.

Thanks for replying to the post really fast. As suggested I configured the connection as suggested and now I can share the same connection between the two computers. The connection speed on both the computers is slow but atleast the connection works simultaneously on both the computers.