Thread: What is the difference between a Digital Signature and a Public Key

What is the difference between a Digital Signature and a Public Key

I recently came across the yahoo digital signature feature and I would like to know more about this feature now. Initially I had heard of public keys and all that were used for authenticity but I forgot the concept behind the same. Could you please explain me the what is digital signature and what is public key basically? What is the difference between Digital Signature and Public Key?

Re: What is the difference between a Digital Signature and a Public Key

A digital signature is an electronic signature which demonstrates the authenticity of a digital message or document. A valid digital signature ensures that the message sent is unchanged. They are commonly used for software distribution, financial transactions, etc. A public key is an algorithm that is used to digital sign a message or document.

Digital Signature is basically a concept which involves a public key and private key. Like if you have mail and you want to digitally sign this mail then you are provided with 1 public and 1 private key. Public key is available to anyone who needs it, but you keep the Private Key with yourself. These keys are used to encrypt/decrypt information.

This concept is basically called as Public-key cryptography. It involves the use of asymmetric and or symmetric key algorithms. Every user has a pair of cryptographic keys known as a public key and a private key. This approach protects the confidentiality and integrity of a message by encrypting the message using the public key which can only be decrypted using the private key. The private key is kept secret, whereas the public key may be broadcasted to everyone.

A digital signature basically involves a concept which allows the user to make sure the message or information he has received is from the original sender and not from any other person. Public-key refers to a cryptographic mechanism. Public-key introduces the concept of key pairs: one for encryption and the other for decryption.