Thread: Unable to Join Windows 7 HomeGroup

Unable to Join Windows 7 HomeGroup

I have an issue with my home group, when try to create a home group on any of the computer, the other computer cannot see it. Each and every computer only offers to 'Create a home group' option. There was a time when the HomeGroup suddenly visible to the other computer but after joining and after that restarting, the computers cannot see each other via the HomeGroup. I have windows 7 home premium 64 bit operating system and also has AVG antivirus.

Re: Unable to Join Windows 7 HomeGroup

I think to solve this problem which you are facing you need to completely uninstall AVG which can hep you to fix the problem and also everything which you might be facing on your computer. It was discovered by me after buying a new router and then reinstalling Windows 7 on both computers. AVG is the anti-HomeGroup and also anti-Play-To. As you have suggested and I think that the "LinkScanner" feature that may be the problem. So i think you need to check out with the AVG antivirus on your computer.

The problem which you are facing with the Homwgroup can also be created by the firewall which is installed in your computer and it is active. You need to disable the firewall temporarily on your computer and then the antivirus program on each machine of the machine. So if you want to have your computer workable with the homegroup then you need to disable all the firewall and the antivirus protection on every computer.

You can also assure the Time Zone and the Time/Date which should be same on each computer.
    Then you need to Reset the HomeGroup.

a. To do this you need to click on the Start Button then in the search option there type "cmd", then in the search result right click on the Cmd.exe and Run it as administrator.
    b. Then in the popup window you need to type the following commands and press Enter one by one:

Net stop p2pimsvc

c. After that you need to access the following folder and delete all files inside:

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking

d. click on the Start Button then in the search option there type "cmd", then in the search result right click on the Cmd.exe and Run it as administrator. Then in the popup window you need to type the following commands and press Enter one by one:

Net start p2pimsvc

I think you need to be suggested to assign a static IP address on each of the computer for a test. I would like to give you some of the general router IP addresses. In most of the cases, the router addresses are “192.168.1.1”, “192.168.0.1” or “192.168.18.1”. So if you have the IP address of the router, than please do the following steps.

1. First of all you need to click on "Start" and in the search box input "NCPA.CPL" and press Enter.
    2. Right click on the connection and than you need to use the local connection and after that click on "Properties".
    3. Then you need to click “Continue” to verify the administrator permission.
    4. You need to click and select the "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", and then click on "Properties".
    5. Then select the “use the following IP address”.

Manually set “IP address”.
    For example, if your router's IP address is 192.168.1.1, than you can type the IP address as 192.168.1.22.

Manually set “Subnet mask” as 255.255.255.0.

Manually set “Default gateway”.

Manually set “preferred DNS server”.

6. And finally click on “OK”.

You need to do some of the settings in the Network and Sharing Center, then in Advanced Sharing Settings, and do the settings:
    • Network Discovery set ON
    • File and Printer Sharing set ON
    • Public Folder Sharing set ON
    • File Sharing Connections set it to lower encryption and higher after homegroup works
    • Media Streaming set ON
    • Password Protected Sharing set OFF
    • HomeGroup Connections - set it to allow Windows to manage

You need to check it on all the computers.