Thread: Windows 7 Internet Connection Sharing problem with VMware Server 2

Windows 7 Internet Connection Sharing problem with VMware Server 2

I had set up a VMware server 2.0.1 on Windows Vista and configured a NAT connection to each virtual hosts (Ubuntu for web server and a database server). I was able to access the database server without any problems on Windows Vista but after upgrading the operating system to Windows 7 on the computer, I am not able to access the database server. Therefore if anybody else is facing similar Windows 7 Internet Connection Sharing problem with VMware Server 2 then please share some solutions. Is this some incompatibility issue? Thanks in advance.

Re: Windows 7 Internet Connection Sharing problem with VMware Server 2

There must be some problem with the version of Vmware server installed on the computer. The applications which are installed on the computer have lot of files which are associated to it. If any of the file which is associated to the application is corrupt or missing on the system then the application will not work properly. You will have to replace all the files which are corrupt or missing on the system. Remove the application from the computer and delete all the files/keys which are related to the application. Reboot the system and then reinstall the application to see if it works properly.

The problem which you are facing is due to the NAT configuration which you are using. NAT configuration many times create problems like the one which you are facing. Instead of using NAT configuration, you can bridge the connection between two networks. Bridging the connection will help the NIC with VMware server to have lan IP. Once the Vmware NIC has a LAN IP, the database server can be accessed easily.

I was also facing the same problem with VMware server which was installed on Windows 7 operating system on my computer. After installing Windows 7 on the computer, I was not able to access the database server. To access the database server from the computer, you will have to disable the VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter used for configuring NAT. Enable it again and then check if Ubuntu Linux is able connect to database server or not.

Windows 7 does not support all the applications which are supported by Windows Vista operating system. If the application is not supported by the operating system then the application will not work at all or will give some problems while running. Try running the application in compatibility mode. Compatibility mode, helps the user to use the applications of the earlier Windows versions on the latest Windows operating system. To run the application in compatibility mode, right click on the application icon and select properties. Go to compatibility tab and select the option which says, "Run the application in compatibility mode" also select the option which says "Run application as power user". Apply the settings and see if the problem is solved or not.