Thread: Migrating VMware Server VMs to Hyper-V R2

Migrating VMware Server VMs to Hyper-V R2

Hello Guys,

I am using the VMware Server product hosting for 6 virtual machines. I have to migrate this VMware Server into the Hyper-V. I want to do this migration because, Hyper-V is more advanced as compare to the VMware Server. But thing is that I don't vSphere servers for this instead of this I used SC-Virtual Machine Manager 2007 R2. If you know how to do migration from VMware Server VMs to Hyper-V R2, then please let me know that. I would greatly appreciate your any help.

Re: Migrating VMware Server VMs to Hyper-V R2

You have mentioned that you are using VMware Server VMs, then you must contains the SCVMM library. To migration from VMware Server VMs to Hyper-V R2, for that you need to copy .vmx as well as the vmdk files to the identical location as per the library server. That means you need to associate these two files to the VMware VM Library.

I don't know why do you want to make migration from VMware Server to Hyper-V R2. VMware dynamically translates the code in a privileged equivalent code in user mode, place it in a place free from memory, making it invisible and inaccessible to the original code and executes instead. When a virtual machine uses a device, VMware intercepts the request and translates it to be managed by the host system.

As per my knowledge you are able to deploy stored VMware VMs to Hyper-V host. But in this process the SCVMM performs the important role in the deployment. For the virtual machine, all devices are identical, even if the host is totally different because it characterizes VMware devices. It is a version of Workstation that allows you to run virtual machines in diverse environments, while keeping the centralized configuration.

To do the migration of VMware Server VMs to Hyper-V R2, for that you first need to install the Hyper-V. And then next step is to deploy the Hyper-V over the VMware Server host. It's an application very similar to GSX Server. It will replace GSX term. It lets you create and use multiple virtual machines. The advantage of this version is the remote console.