Thread: Unable to connect SMTP server on TCP port 25

Unable to connect SMTP server on TCP port 25

I have a problem in connecting to the SMTP server on the TCP port 25 from the remote IP. I have a computer and from it i have my local LAN telnet mailserver 25 which results in the normal 220 response, and also i can send mail using any client. From the remote computers which is situated at my house using DSL telnet mailserver 25 it results in an error of timeout, cannot find server. I don't know why it is happening as i have a clean copy of server on my computer and if there is any solution for that then please provide me.

Re: Unable to connect SMTP server on TCP port 25

I think your problem seems like that it has to be much of SMTP server configuration. I would like to recommend you to post in the below Exchange forum which is on the official website of the microsoft and see if they can find the solution for your problem. So if you feel any kind of problem in the network with respect to the server then just contact the microsoft and they will provide the solution.

I think you need to have the clean copy of the server which you are using and with no rules and no features that will help your out. And also you can check out with the anti-virus, firewall that should not be enabled as it can cause the problem which you are facing currently. So if you wanted to have your server to work with the tcp port 25 then just do the above method to solve your problem.

The best thing is to un-install the server software on your computer which is situated at your home and then re-install it correctly with the best configuration which can help you to connect to the server wihout any kind of error. And also if you want then you can go on the server and then just check out the settings through which you are trying to connect on TCP port 25.

You need to do a simple test. From the computers which you have it at your home that is hooked DIRECTLY to your ISP with no firewall, open then you need to open a command prompt and there type:

telnet "yourmailservers IP" 25

example telnet mail.myhost.com 25

After typing it if you do not get any response, and you are sure for your mail server that is working fine and you don't have routing issues, than i think your ISP is blocking all the SMTP traffic which is not destined to thier mail server.

First off all you need to check out that is your SMTP server is situated inside your LAN or it is out on the Internet somewhere else. If it is out on the Internet then you need to change the OUTGOING connections to open the pot 25 or you need to open up incoming port 25 on the router. It sounds like the port is being blocked somewhere. You should be able to telnet to the host into the port 25.