Thread: Unable to telnet Exchange 2003 server on port 25

Unable to telnet Exchange 2003 server on port 25

Through Exchange 2003 server i am trying to get a server. I allowed its IP to use in Exchange on the default SMTP Virtual Server. But unfortunately it is not working on this server, the server is running on Windows XP and whenever i try to telnet the exchange server on the port 25 i get an error message "telnet: Unable to connect to remote host". I am able to telnet to the exchange server on the port 80 from the same server and also I can telnet the exchange server on the port 25 by other servers. Please help me...

Re: Unable to telnet Exchange 2003 server on port 25

I have a doubt that you have not put the server in the correct list. I need to sure that you put it in the exact list. I think that you may have configured the SMTP virtual server on your system which can allow all the computers except to the server thatyou added. I think you need to verify the settings in SMTP virtual server which can help your to solve your problem. So try it to get rid from it.

The best way to check the problem is that you need to see that if any other software is using this server which should ne blocking the server. I was also facing the same problem but managed to solve it, you need to check the Antivirus that might be blocking the connection to the exchange server as the telnet over the port 25. It was in the list of the blocked applications which can prevent the mass mailing worms. So just check it out if there is any security tool which would be causing the problem.

I think you can check it out by disabling the firewall which is making this problem to occurr on the server. Because when you have activated the firewall on your server to prevent from the infection of the unwanted virus and threats which can harm the network and the server, this protects the server by blocking the threats, so i think you need to check with the firewall and then try to access and telnet the port 25.

To get rid from this problem you need to change the SMTP port and after that just check the properties of the default SMTP Virtual Server. I have a doubt that are you running any other SMTP series, if that so then it could also be the reason for the peoblem. Or if you are running any Surfcontrol Surfmail Spam filtering softare on the Exchange Server then it can also cause this problem. So just check out with the listed thing above and then try to telnet the port 25.