Thread: MSExchangeTransport Service fails to start with port 25

MSExchangeTransport Service fails to start with port 25

Currently i am not able to receive my mail and i need help to solve this problem. I have a fresh install by using hub transport with no edge, and have the default setup for receive connector to receive on all ip connections through the port 25. The MS Exchange Transport service which i have, fails to start with the event 1032, i.e Socket Access Denied Binding: 0.0.0.0:25. After that when i change the port to 26, the service starts but i cannot receive mails. After turning the Telnet service on the telnet port 25 which gives error message "Could not open connection to the host, on port 25: Connect failed". Please help

Re: MSExchangeTransport Service fails to start with port 25

I think that the reason for the Exchange that cannot use port 25 is that there might be some of the software that might have installed on your server which would be already using it. I think that you have some other SMTP software installed on your server or there might be some of the Antivirus which would be using this server prot 25. This could be the reason why you are facing this problem.

Also you can try to connect to the server with the help of the command prompt from your computer.

1. To telnet to the port 25 server through comman prompt you need to go to the run and there you need to typr cmd in the box.
    2. After that in that type "telnet [machine name]"
    3. Then from the interactive telnet session: "o [machine name] 25"
    4. It will return: 220 [fqdn] Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service version 6.0.3790.3959ready at [date]

You can try this method and see it you are able to telnet to the port 25 server.

I was also facing same kind of problem with the server, but got it solved. The thing that solved was that the default smtp site in the IIS was running, even I rebooted the box, the service got started before the exchange, by using up the port 25 before the exchange. I disabled simple mail transport protocol service, and then stopped the default smtp site. After that when i try Telneting to the port 25 it gave me exactly what you faced in your post.

I think you need to check out by doing the re-installation process with the server on your computer and also you need to check out that if your firewall is active and it may be causing the problem. First thing is that you need to disable the firewall which could be causing the problem by blocking the server. And also if you want then you can do the fresh re-install of the server and the software related to the server.

I think the problem that you are facing with the receiving mail could be by the DNS MX record which might have removed, and also it may be that it would have hacked. You need to set the DNS to allow secure and unsecure updates in order to sync with the another DNS server on the network. You can set up an MX record again and also set the DNS to allow no updates. Hope this could help you out.