Thread: Router disconnects while streaming video

Router disconnects while streaming video

I have a desktop computer which is running on Windows Xp operating system. The computer has an Internet connection which is provided by Netgear rp614v2 wired router. The problem which I am facing, while streaming online videos the, router disconnects from the network. I am not able to understand if the router is having the problem or the computer. The only way to solve such problem, is to restart the router. So if anybody knows why my Router disconnects while streaming online video then please share some information which might help me in solving the issue.

Re: Router disconnects while streaming video

First check the configuration of the router. If the router is not configured properly then it will lose the connectivity to the network frequently. To check the configuration of the router, login to the router using the default IP address of the router. Once logged in, open the configuration page of the router and contact the ISP for proper settings of the router. Check if the router is configured properly according to the settings. Make changes in the settings if required and then save the configuration. See if the router disconnects from the network or not.

Every device which is connected to the computer, requires a set of drivers to be installed on the computer to work properly. Drivers are the translators between the operating system and the device. If the appropriate drivers are not installed then the device will not work properly. To check if the drivers for the network adapter are installed and working properly, right click on My computer and then select Device manager. Highlight the network adapter, if there are any caution signs, follow the troubleshooting procedure. You can also try and update the drivers and see if it helps.

The working of the router depends on the firmware of the router which is known as algorithm. The algorithm decides the speed and the working of the router. If the algorithm is outdated or corrupt then the router will not work properly. The only way to solve the problem is to update the firmware of the router. To update the firmware of the router, connect the router to the computer using the console cable and download the latest firmware which is available for the model of the router which you are using. Install it and then configure the router again. See if the problem is solved or not.

Scan the system with some updated antivirus as I suspect that the computer is infected with some virus due to which you are not able to maintain connectivity to the network. Virus's have the tendency to link with the files of the operating system. If such a situation occurs then the system will not work properly. Therefore scan the system with an updated antivirus and check for all the files which are infected. Repair or quarantine the files which are infected. Do not delete any of the infected files as it may lead to system failure. After repairing see if the connectivity to the network is maintained.

Get the link which is providing bandwidth to the router checked by the ISP. If the link which is providing the bandwidth to the router is faulty then the router will lose the connectivity to the Internet. Get the link checked by the ISP and if it is faulty then get it rectified. Once the link is rectified, see if the problem persists. If the problem persists then the router has to be replaced as it is faulty.