Thread: How to open port 1433

How to open port 1433

I am using windows Xp professional within a network with the file server and some workstations. The management of the network based on linksys router connected to a Netgear ethernet switch that distributes throughout the network.

I am want to run a database program named SQL Express which detects the port number 1433.What's the problem,I can not find to open or connect to the 1433 port with the workstations. I disabled the Windows firewall to solve this but not working well. I need to connect with the specified port 1433. Anyone ever have this problem or suggest any solutions ?
    Last edited by Seducer; 24-03-2010 at 06:12 PM.

How to open port 1433

You can do it with a little bit operation but you need to do it from the workstations.

Go to the CMD prompt using start menu and then RUN and type:

Code:
    Telnet xx.xx.xx.xx 1433
    Where the xx will indicate the IP address of the machine where the database is being managed.The error message can be occurred related to the connection that shows you to made the connection.

How to open port 1433

Just one thing should be clear,All of the computers are connected or directly or indirectly attached with the router?You can try turning the Windows firewall back on and attach the port 1433 from the execution tab.

You can resolve this with the help of some configuration regarding the protocols.Just click on the Start menu and => RUN and type: cliconfg which is a SQL network utility.
    Be sure about the configuration of the TCP/IP and Named Pipes should be enabled and find the properties of TCP/IP and configure it with the default allocation of 1433 port.

How to open port 1433

Thanks for your replies.I tried to apply both the suggestion but not getting any response.I feel that I am unable to connect with the particular port with my work station.

When I execute the telnet command with the database machine IP, I am getting some error message "unable to establish connection to port 1433...." . I am trying to get the solution that what is exact process to open that port on my file server.

Thanks.

How to open port 1433

Hi,

I got some related issues with the port forwarding. Used different things and strategies to solve the issue and then find some things I taken the decision.

Turned out that my router (D-link)and not going to forward anything. And I bought another router and all of the issues were resolved.I am not just telling that the problem that I discussed is also going on with you , I is just a suggestion to know that router firmware faults are not unheard of and maybe if you have another router you can give that a go.