Thread: Unable to use the photon +ZTE modem on Mac OS

Unable to use the photon +ZTE modem on Mac OS

Hi friends,
    I have recently purchased a photon +ZTE modem, so that I can access an Internet through my Macbook. After connecting that Modem to the macbook, it is not getting detected. I have installed the proper driver for it, then also I am not able to use it. I am unable to fix this issue. So please help me by providing some solutions for using the photon +ZTE modem on Mac OS. I am using macbookpro 13, and hoping that someone would help me soon.!!
    "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do". - Voltaire

Re: Unable to use the photon +ZTE modem on Mac OS

The WWAN drivers for the apple work perfectly for the ZTE usb modem device. But I think that the list of the default driver does not include the vendor and device ID for the device that you are trying to use. This is the reason that your operating system is unable to recognize the ZTE device as a WWAN device. So I would like to suggest you to get an ID of your hardware. I.e. the PID/VID available via system profiler under USB as ZTE modem. There you will get the Product ID and Vendor ID. After then try to edit the WWAN support plist files. Hope that by doing this your issue would be fixed.

For editing the WWAN support plist files, you will have to edit the following path.
    /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleWWANSupport1.kext/Contents
    You will also have to edit the
    /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleWWANSupport.kext/Contents

You can view many devices with their respective vendor IDs and product IDs listed there. You will have to just add another similar new line, or you can also edit an existing line, with the vendor ID as 0x1ab2 and product ID as 0x4567. This will work for you.

I would like to suggest you to try the Reliance Comm drivers for the AC8710. You can get the drivers from the following site :
    http://www.rcom.co.in/Communications/rcom/RNetconnect/ecare_downloads.html
    This will help you to detect your USB device once you plug it in. Then you will have to add that specific connection from network preferences. After doing this, go to the advanced settings and choose a non apple modem like novatel and yippie. I was having the similar issue and the problem was solved.

Even I would say that installing the Reliance Comm drivers could be useful. Because it has solved my issue. The only thing you will have to do after installing the driver, is to select the others from the modem list. And after that you will have to select the ZTE modem from drop down list. Then you can dial no to #777 user and password. Once you have done with this, then you can access an Internet.

I think that you should try to reinstall the whoe thing again by following the below procedure :
    1. Double-click the file ClaroPERUPC_MacM05V1.0.0B04.dmg
    2. Run the installation file "ZTE Connection Manager".
    3. Then the Mac PC will guide you through the installation. You should know that the password requested is the Mac user does not exist Where
    4. click on OK.
    5. Once rebooted the PC to connect the modem into any USB port of the MAC with the SIMCARD in.
    6. The screen message may appear after a moment, and click on the IGNORE.
    7. It is possible that the first time you install the modem on the Mac computer, see a Mac screen indicating that they have detected some "ZTE devices," only to click on cancel.
    8. Then go to the Finder for Mac, then "Go" and finally applications RUN
    9. the program already installed, "ZTE Body Connection" and appears
    10. modem management screen. Wait for the network and detect bar appears
    11. complete and sign the simcard modem symbol turns green. Then do
    12. click "Connect".