Thread: Problems with Linksys WRT54GL router

Problems with Linksys WRT54GL router

Hello there, I have a desktop computer which is running with Windows XP operating system. The desktop has an Internet connection which is provided by a modem. I am trying to share the same internet connection on my laptop using a Linksys WRT54GL router but I am not able to. I am Problems with Linksys WRT54GL router . I connected the router to the modem but I cannot access Internet on both the computers. Therefore If anybody can provide me with some insights then it would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

Re: Problems with Linksys WRT54GL router

Just connecting the router to the modem will not help you in sharing the connection. To be able to share the internet connection using the router, you will have to configure the router properly. I would suggest that you contact the ISP and get the proper settings which are required for sharing of the connection. Enter the settings provided by the ISP into the router and the save the configuration. After the configuration is saved, restart the router and see if you are able to share the connection on both the computers or not.

To configure the router, you will require the default IP address of the router which can be found out by referring the user manual. Enter the default IP address of the router in the address bar of the browser and hit enter. Enter the default user name and password for the router and then open the configuration page. Configure the router as per the settings provided by your ISP. Save the configuration file and restart the router. If the router is configured properly then you will be able to share the connection without any problems.

Sharing of the Internet connection is not allowed by some of the ISP's. Many of the ISP's track the MAC address of all the devices which are connected to their network. The tracking of the MAC address helps the ISP's in differing services to the computers which are connected. If the sharing of connection is not allowed by the ISP then apply any hardware solutions will not be helpful. Therefore contact the ISP and be confirm that the sharing of connection is allowed.

Thanks for replying to the post really fast. I contacted my ISP and they said that the sharing of connection is allowed. I got the configuration settings for the router from the ISP and configured the router according to it and now I can access Internet on both the computers without any problems. Now I want to know how many devices can be connected to the router for sharing the same connection? or can only two computers share the same connection?

The internet connection can be shared between many devices. The number of devices which can be connected to the router depends on the router. Mostly there are 4 ethernet ports available for the router, which means 4 computers can be connected to the router at the same time. Also the Wireless connections can vary depending on the model of the router. Therefore check the user manual and check the number of devices that can be connected to the model of the router which you are using.