Thread: Configuring ADSL on home network

Configuring ADSL on home network

I am trying to create a home network of 5 PC where I want to enable internet on each of the PC. I want to share the internet with the same. But the issue is that only on a single PC the adls modem is working. I can try here a hub or switch work. I am not able to figure out what is the right thing for the same. What should do here.

Re: Configuring ADSL on home network

The first thing you can try for this is hook everything to a hub or switch. It is a Simple setup and No server needed. Need to Configure each PC physically. The problem is that there needs a Maximum 4 PC's. You need a Fixed IP addresses for all 4 PC's and Dial-in required per PC. There is No Proxy. The Hub ports = the number of PC's + 1 and Only one PC at a time can be connected to the internet.

With a home network system you can connect each and every one Ethernet cables (PC and ADSL) to a hub or switch. The hub or switch can be several model UTP based hub if at all possible with an uplink/MDI crossed connector. You will necessitate the uplink connector to attach the ADSL connector. If your hub does not approach with such a connector, you be suppose to purchase or arrange a UTP crossed-over network cable and utilize that as an alternative. Your hub is supposed to have at least the amount of PC's plus 1 (ADSL) UTP ports.

You can have some information here how does a home network runs. First The ADSL cable goes to the splitter. Then The ADSL modem is attached to the splitter. Then The Ethernet cable from the modem moreover is attached to the uplink UTP connector of your hub, or – by means of a UTP crossed cable - to an ordinary UTP connector and after that every PC is attached to an ordinary UTP port of the hub/switch. Every PC (utmost of 4!) be supposed to be arranged as an ADSL client as explained by your provider. Every PC is supposed to have an exclusive or single IP address.

There is another way of doing this. Here you can try to put everything to the Hub or Switch - one of the PCs is a server. The best part of this is that it is simple and No need of manual PC configuration, almost no limit to the number of PC's (254). Dialup is done automatically and Proxy inRoute or similar support available.

If you attach the hub to the server than the Server software (NAT or Proxy) or Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) required. Arranging the server can be complicated, his network setup is comparable to alternative 1 with one dissimilarity. You have a server which facilitates us to utilize a dissimilar IP range for PCs. Here every PC is attached to an ordinary UTP port of the hub/switch. One of the PC's is to be arranged as server moreover using software like WinRoute or Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing (Windows 2000, XP and ME have this customary integrated).