Thread: wmpscfgs.exe - searched for removal and can't delete it

wmpscfgs.exe - searched for removal and can't delete it

I have searched for the virus by following the instructions from another thread;

If you are infected with the same kind of virus the scanning wont help you to get rid if the same. You have to log in to the Safe mode that will help you for the same as there are less process running in the Safe mode. Now open the Windows explorer and the go to the tools menu and the click on the Show hidden files and folders and untick Hide Extensions for known file types. Now go to the "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" and to "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp" and delete the wmpscfgs.exe

Unfortunately, in SAFE mode when I try to delete it from the "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" diretory I get a message that says I can't delete it, it may be running. (I did log onto safe mode as Admin.) I don't see it in the task manager. I tried rebooting in normal mode but then I can't even SEE the file in the directory.

Can you please instruct me how to delete it, if I'm getting this message that won't let me delete it?! Then I can proceed with the rest of the removal instructions (in a perfect world...). Using Windows XP. Thanks so much -

Re: wmpscfgs.exe - searched for removal and can't delete it

Please search the forum before posting any queries, this will help to avoid duplication. You can find the complete solution for deleting wmpscfgs.exe in the following post:
    How to get rid of the wmpscfgs.exe virus

That is the post I used and copied in MY Post;

If you are infected with the same kind of virus the scanning wont help you to get rid if the same. You have to log in to the Safe mode that will help you for the same as there are less process running in the Safe mode. Now open the Windows explorer and the go to the tools menu and the click on the Show hidden files and folders and untick Hide Extensions for known file types. Now go to the "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" and to "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp" and delete the wmpscfgs.exe. Now open the regedit and in the HKLM->Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion –> Run delete the %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\wmpscfgs.exe. Thats it

I OPENED in safe mode, and tried to delete the file, and it wouldn't allow me to delete it. I was looking for MORE help on how to delete the file if it says file is in use and can't be deleted.

Thank you -

First let me know that which antivirus program you are using in your computer system from securing it from the threats. So you are able to find the wmpscfgs.exe virus in your computer system at the specified path on your computer system but you are not able to remove it from the system. So i think this is the issue of the antivirus program. either you are not having the licensed copy of the antivirus program or the database of the antivirus program is not updated. So update the database from the net and then try to delete this virus from your computer system.

Thanks Spyrus. I am using AVGFree as my antivirus program.

When I boot up in Safe mode, I can see the wmpscfgs.exe file in the programs / internet explorer folder, but I can't delete it because it says it "may be running or being used." When I boot up in normal mode, I can't even SEE wmpscfgs.exe in the folder, even after I change the folder view settings to show hidden files.

AVGFree keeeps alerting me about the file, incessantly, but it doesn't really stop it when I select "remove the threat". I did a full scan with AVGFree and that virus was still left behind.