Thread: Dell laptop does not connect to Linksys router

Dell laptop does not connect to Linksys router

Hello I have recently bought a Dell laptop which is installed with Windows 7 operating system. My desktop computer is connected to Internet connection and the operating system on the computer is Windows XP. The internet connection is provided to the computer using Linksys Wireless router. The computer is hardwired to the router. The problem which I am facing is Dell laptop does not connects to Linksys router. I am trying to connect the laptop to the router using Wifi connection to share the same connection with the desktop computer. So can anybody guide me in connecting the laptop to the router? Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: Dell laptop does not connect to Linksys router

First of all before implementing any hardware solutions for sharing the Internet connection, contact your ISP and ask them whether sharing of the connection is allowed or not. Many of the ISP's do not allow the sharing of same connection between two or more computers. If sharing is not allowed from the ISP side then there is no use in implementing any hardware solutions as it will not work. ISP's track the MAC address's of the device which are connected to its network which helps them in differing the services to the computers connected to it.

Have you enabled the Wireless feature of the router? In every wireless router you have to enable the Wireless lan manually. To check if the Wirless lan is enabled on the router or not. See whether the LED which says WLAN is glowing or not. If the LED is not glowing then WLAN is disabled and needs to be enabled. To enable the Wlan on the router, you will have to login to the router using the default IP address of the router. Refer the user manual of the router and then enter the default IP address of the router in the address bar of the browser. Now go to configuration page and then enable the WLAN. Save the settings and reboot the router. Now try and connect the laptop to the router.

Just enabling the WLAN will not allow you to connect the laptop to the router. You will have to configure the WLAN as well so that your connection becomes visible on the remote device which wants to connect to the router. Login to the router, enter the username and password. Go to the Wireless Tab. Now enter the SSID and the authentication password. Select the type of encryption if you want your network to be secured. After all the appropriate changes are made, reboot the router. Now turn on the wifi on the laptop and search for all the available networks. Connect to the network which has SSID which you have given. Enter the authentication password and you will be connected to the network.

Check if the drivers for the network adapter are installed and working properly on the computer. All the device connected to the computer need appropriate drivers to be installed on the computer so that the device works properly. Drivers act as mediator between the operating system and the device. If appropriate drivers are not installed the device will not work properly. Go to device manager and highlight the network adapter. If there are any caution signs against the device then follow the troubleshooting procedure and see if you are able to connect to the network or not. If troubleshooting does not work then update the drivers.

The default IP version of Windows 7 is version 6 while the default version of Windows XP is version 4. The DHCP of the router will assign IPv4 address to the computer connected to it using Wireless which will conflict with IPv6 address of the laptop. Disable the IPv6 support of Windows 7 and then see if you are able to connect to the router. To disable the IPv6 support of Windows 7, go to the network connection wizard and then open the TCP/IP properties. Remove the Checkmark against the "Enable IPv6" and then save and apply the settings. Now try and connect the laptop to the router.

I also have this problem i have windows vista and had to reset my router now i cant get back on on to wifi i talked to dell support, linksys my internet provider they all said everything is fine. Dell says i have to reconfig my computer to be compatible with the router because it doesnt recognize it.
    they can do it but will cost $200 for each computer. My apple computer connects fine. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penneeg View Post
    I also have this problem i have windows vista and had to reset my router now i cant get back on on to wifi i talked to dell support, linksys my internet provider they all said everything is fine. Dell says i have to reconfig my computer to be compatible with the router because it doesnt recognize it.
    they can do it but will cost $200 for each computer. My apple computer connects fine.
    Can you tell us if you are using wireless encryption, did you put in the actual encryption key on the Dell, or did you enter the Linksys Passphrase? The passphrase is used by the router to create an encryption key, and is only good on Linksys products (or other brands that know the algorithm to create the hex key from the passphrase).