Thread: Difference between NFS and FTP

Difference between NFS and FTP

Hi, i am new to this forum and am using Ubuntu Operating system. I am sorry if am posting this question in the wrong section. Actually, i wanted to install FTP server on my Ubuntu system but before that i wanted to know something about NFS. Could you guys please make me know what is difference between NFS and FTP ? I appreciate all your helps.

Re: Difference between NFS and FTP

NFS stands for Network File System, that is to say, file system network. It is a protocol developed by Sun Microsystems that allows a computer to access files over a network. NFS has become a standard in the UNIX world but goes beyond the framework of the UNIX world. It relies on a standard representation of objects proposed by the XDR protocol and the mechanism of remote procedure calls implemented by the RPC (Remote Procedure Call). All these protocols are also implemented by Sun Microsystems.

NFS aims to share all files on a network. It is often coupled with an NIS server for authentication. Where on the other hand, FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, the protocol used on the Internet to exchange files and it works as a HTTP. Ftp is used for transferring Web pages from one server to a user's browser and SMTP for transferring electronic mail across the Internet. For this, as these technologies, FTP uses the protocols of TCP / IP Internet to enable data transfer. FTP is most commonly used to download a file from a server using the Internet or send an file to a server.

The big problem with NFS that is developed by Sun Microsystems is that the customer always trust the server and vice versa. A root account on a client machine may well compromise the server and vice versa.

Use the mount command with the-nosuid on customers, preventing modification or use of setuid programs on a NFS file system. Use the root-squash in the file /etc/exports This will aim to prevent a client root to become root on the NFS file system stored on the server. Protect access to your NFS server by filtering from the IP address, different customers.

The FTP server is the part that contains the files and manages users, everyone can host a home. To install the FTP server, type:
    sudo aptitude install vsftpd
    The FTP server configuration is done by editing / etc / vsftpd.conf. To edit this file, do:
    gksu gedit / etc / vsftpd.conf
    By default, the FTP server is listening on all interfaces. If you want to limit - for example - only to your local network 10.0.0.x, add the line:
    listen_address = 10.0.0.1

Before you can use NFS, be it server or client, verify that the kernel that is used has been compiled with support for NFS. Support for NFS kernel can be provided either as a module or directly into the kernel. In the first case, just a list of all modules related to system files in the directory / lib / modules / / fs known to those supported by the kernel in question. Moreover, the most recent versions of Linux system have an interface in the proc file system, it suffices to show using the cat command to see if the support of NFS is assured.