Thread: Need help in configuring Linksys WRT160n wireless router

Need help in configuring Linksys WRT160n wireless router

Hello, I have computer which is installed with Windows XP on it. The computer is connected to an Internet connection which is provided by a cable modem. Recently I bought a laptop which is installed with Windows Vista operating system. I want to share the same connection on my laptop for which i bought Linksys WRT160N wireless router. I connected the router to the modem, but the router is not working. All the LED's are glowing on Linksys WRT160n router. Are there any special configurations which are to be done so that the router can be used for sharing the connection? Therefore I Need help in configuring Linksys WRT160n router

Re: Need help in configuring Linksys WRT160n wireless router

Ideally all the LED's on the router should not glow when the router is connected to the modem. Whenever the router is connected to a modem, only the status and the link active LED on the router should glow. As all the LED's on the router are glowing there is a chance that the router is faulty and hence you are not able to connect it to the modem. Get the router checked by some technician before connecting the router to the network, as adding a faulty router to the network may take the whole network down.

Before implementing any hardware to share the Internet connection between two computers it is better that you contact your Internet service provider and ask them whether sharing of the Internet connection between two computers is allowed or not. Many of the ISP's do not allow the sharing of Internet connection for which they track the MAC addresses of all the computers which are using there connection. Tracking MAC addresses helps the ISP's to differ services to all the computers who are connected to its network. If sharing is not allowed then you will not be able to share the same connection on both computers.

Yes definitely there are some configurations required to be done on the router in order to connect it to the network. Router is gateway device and hence it has to be configured properly to share the connection between two computers. To configure the router, first login to the router. Use default IP address of the router to login to the router. The default IP address of the router can be found out by referring the user manual of the router. Once you have logged in to the router, open the configuration page and then contact the service provider to provide the settings which are required for sharing the connection.

Every router has a firmware installed on it which helps in proper working of the router. The Firmware of the router can also be referred as the operating system of the router. Like any other software, the firmware of the router can also get corrupt. If the firmware of the router gets corrupt then it will result in the router getting stuck up while working. The LED's glowing on the router are indications that the firmware of the router is not working properly. Hence to update the firmware, connect the router to a computer with Internet connectivity with a console cable. Then visit the official Linksys website and download the latest firmware which is available for the model of the router which you are using and then install it on the router. After firmware upgradation you will not face the same problem.

Connect the cable from the modem to one of the ports on the router. Connect one computer to other port of the router. Now login to the router and open the configuration page. Now select the PPPoE as the connection type and then enter all the details of the subscription which you are using. Save the settings. Now open the Wireless tab and enable Wlan. Select the encryption type and the authentication password. Select a desirable SSID and then save the settings. Now exit the router and reboot it. Now you will be able to share the connection on the laptop without any problem.