Thread: Problem with partimage in partition restoration

Problem with partimage in partition restoration

I launched in partimage (because with Ghost I think we can not guarantee its IPCOP, I personally tried it with Norton Ghost and Windows does not clearly recognize the Linux file system, we can not use Norton Ghost).

The problem I encounter with partimage (which I installed on Ubuntu) on restoration of partition. I mount a secondary IPCOP to test backup. I configured two three things then I plug the external hard drive on my ubuntu. I recognize so 3 partitions (IPCOP which makes the partitions during installation).

However, with partimage, you can not make a backup of the entire disk but only a partition. So I do the backup of 3 partitions, no problem until then. To make a good simulation, I put another hard drive (same capacity) virgin and therefore with one single partition.

My problem is probably in the range of understanding because obviously if I try to restore my 3 images on the disk (not partitioned) they all crash after another.

Is it possible to make a complete picture of the disk to no longer have this worry? Or even restore the 3 images on the hard drive without crushing them?

Re: Problem with partimage in partition restoration

To make clones of IPCOP, I use Acronis True Image micro application.

But it would be interesting to watch anyway "partimage" because Acronis is a commercial software (not free) while partimage is free and active in multiple distributions or specialized type toolbox (Clonezilla).

Agree with you but, in my case, I have problems with partimage that allows me to save my ipcop master and the other in descending. For this I must deploy ipcop per site I have 10 sites. By default I use Clonezilla, Ghost and Rescue CD to do all my administration. and I was stuck on ipcop why I use another product for this distribution

Thank you for your answers. I realized my ghost and I'm with partimage. The image ipcop is in 3 parts. To restore it need a HD partitioned into 3. What I do is start a IPCOP install on the HDD to the partitioning. Then simply restore 3 partitions

From my side I tested Clonezilla without much success.

I took the next option that works perfectly and in terms of cost remains the same as purchasing licenses which provides more security and save time in case of problems, namely:

Each of IPCop has a secondary disk identical to the first.
    Each machine is equipped with hot-plug support for SATA hard core
    The first IPCOP disc is replicated on the second at any time by the dd command

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=8225280 (for SATA)

do a fdisk -l prior to the dd to control.

Caution: In the first use of the dd command, the second drive must be pre-installed with IPCOP partitioning. (You can even stop the install when the message appears IPCOP INSTALLED)

Rather than making a dd copy of "gross" and therefore totally dependent on the partition sizes, I will be making more orders tar form:

cd (source); tar cf - ./* | tar xvf - -C (destination)

This has the advantage of speed, independence in relation to the size of partitions (and ssh working can descend to another system ...).

(Be careful not to transfer the files "empty" type /proc, /selinux, ...)