Thread: How to use BitLocker

How to use BitLocker

Everything is in tilte? i want to know the procedure to use the BitLocker Drive Encryption . Is i really useful to keep safe files on drive? If you know then please share it with me. Thanks for any help.

Re: How to use BitLocker

BitLocker offers full protection to your system by ensuring that data will be encrypted even if the OS is not started. One way to ensure that your data will remain inaccessible in the case, for example, when your hard drive is stolen and you try to access it from another operating system. The volume protected by this technology will be fully costed. It requires a motherboard compatible with the TPM (Trusted Platform Module) and the BIOS which meets certain standards. It is also necessary that your hard disk contains at least two NTFS partitions:

• A volume which is installed on your operating system;
    • A startup volume by at least 1.5 GB

Otherwise you will receive an error message indicating that the drive configuration is not suitable for BitLocker Drive Encryption

An initial partition is used to store the boot files that are not encrypted. The second is used to encrypt the system drive. The boot partition must be a partition marked as active. If you have a compatible motherboard BitLocker functionality will be enabled by default. Note that the TPM should be allowed in the Bios. Generally, these are two distinct options to be activated. If you do not see these commands and you still know that the motherboard has a TPM module, try to get the latest available update Bios. You can also use the BitLocker technology by using a memory card or USB drive, but it must first allow this option by opening the Group Policy Object Editor :

• Click Start/Run then type: gpedit.msc.
    • Open the tree: Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/ Windows Components/BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Select this strategy: Panel: Enable advanced startup.
    • Check the box placed just below.

The documentation available on the Microsoft site indicates that you must prepare the disk before installing Windows Vista but I, for one, see no problem:

• Enable BitLocker feature a hard disk already partitioned and then afterward;
    • Use as a boot volume on a partition that was already installed another operating system.

1. Click Start/Control Panel then open the module BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    2. Click on the link Turn on BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    3. Click Impose a USB startup at boot.
    4. Then click Start/Control Panel then open the module BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    5. Select the drive that corresponds to the memory device and then click Save.

The next window offers you:

1. To save the password on a USB key;
      2. Save the password in a file;
      3. Print the password.

It is recommended to create multiple backups ...
      Note that the file containing the password can be saved to the root of a non-removable drive. You must place it in a folder. I personally used a USB key to save the password. If you edit the text file that you saved the password to be specified in the clear.
    6. Click Next.
    7. Leave the box checked Run the test system BitLocker then click Continue.

This precaution should be taken to ensure that BitLocker can correctly read the encryption keys and recovery before starting the process of encrypting your volume.
    8. Click on the buttons Continue then Restart Now.

The computer will restart and the encryption process is started.
      The entire operation takes one hour to a volume of 60 GB is better during this time disable the resident protection of your anti-virus in order to expedite the process.
      A message will indicate that the encryption of your book is finished.
    9. Click Close.

If you reopen the module BitLocker, it will be possible to disable BitLocker Drive Encryption or manage the BitLocker key by duplicating either:

• The password recovery;
      • The startup key.

10. First restart your computer with the startup key inserted.

The startup process will take place in a completely transparent. Curiously, I found it really really fast!
    11. Turn off and then restart your computer, taking care to remove the first key to boot (memory card CD / MMC, in our example).

A message will indicate that the key to BitLocker Drive Encryption Windows is required.
    12. Insert the requested key and press the Escape key.

The computer will restart normally ...
      Now consider what happens if by chance your startup key is missing or defective.
    13. In the same screen as before press Enter.
    14. Then enter the password recovery.

You must use the function keys F1 to F9 for the numbers 1 to 9 and press F10 to 0. Recall that this feature does not affect a multiboot boot on another operating system like Windows XP. From this system the encrypted volume will be inaccessible. You will simply point out that the disk is not formatted and asks if you want to format it now. You can view the best encryption mechanism by opening the tool Disk Management: in the text box Research placed above the menu Start type: diskmgmt.msc. The partition on which Vista is installed will be shown as encrypted with BitLocker.

To disable this feature open the module BitLocker Drive Encryption and then click the link Disable BitLocker Drive Encryption. The dialog box that appears offers you:

• Disable BitLocker Drive Encryption ;
    • Deciphering the volume.

Note that the decryption process your reader will be very long.

BitLocker necessarily make your system more sensitive to any hard disk problem and bad cluster. If you desire you can find it impossible to collect data on the encrypted volume. Microsoft still offers a repair tool called BitLocker Repair Tool.

hi
    I have a extrenal hard ( seagate ) & encrypt with bitlocker windows 7

I changed windows & i can't open this hard

please help me

BitLocker can be turned off in two ways: by disabling BitLocker or by decrypting the volume. When you disable BitLocker, your hard drive is still encrypted but your computer uses a plain text decryption key that is stored on the hard drive to read the information. When you decrypt the volume, everything on your hard drive is decrypted.

Or alternatively, open command prompt and type chkdsk to run the Disk check. Note you need to run the disk check with with /f/r parameters on that drive.

For more info see this.

I forgot my password and my data are very important
    Please help me

seagate , 320 GB , freeaganet

I am afraid but there is nothing much you can do about it. Still you can take the hard drive to the data recovery center and see if they are able to recover the data or not. Hope the post helps.

Hi friends,
    I installed Windows 7 for the first time at my home PC. I was playing and learning things about the new OS. Unfortunately, one of my drive containing a history of family pictures gone locked with bitLocker. Now it asks me password or key both of which I dont have. I also tried by reintalling XP then again Windows 7 but it didn't work.
    This is my home PC can somebody help me how to recover my data.
    Regards,

There is a way to copy data from any folder by using DOS (Command Prompt) but i dont remember the complete steps at the moment. It is somewhere like, we need to open command prompt, type the path of the folder that is containing the files you wanna retrieve and type hfile. It will show you all the files of that folder which you can copy easily. Alternatively, you can simply browse to the directory where the concealed folder is and try to open the folder by making use of rar. Once it is open, you will see the files that you can copy anywhere easily.

For some similar help, just go through this thread: How to recover files hidden by Folder Lock after reinstalling windows