Thread: Information on prevention and removal of Mdmbot.B trojan

Information on prevention and removal of Mdmbot.B trojan

I have recently heard alot about the Mdmbot.B trojan. I have set a new computer system at my place which uses the Windows 7 platform. I have installed Symantec anti virus. What harm is actually caused by this Mdmbot.B? How can it be detected and are there any symptoms to verify the presence of this trojan? If infected how can I remove this trojan from my computer system. I usually use my computer to play online games and hence I want to make sure that my computer is not infected by any kind of network threats.

Avast to remove Mdmbot.B trojan

The trojan Mdmbot.B is detected as Backdoor:Win32/Mdmbot.B by my Avast anti virus. I happened to click on an advertisement by mistake which helped this trojan to make its way to my machine. But using the Boot-Time Scan feature of Avast, it helped me to remove this trojan. All I know is that this trojan like most others would send the data from the infected machine to its remote attacker and also allow remote access of the infected machine to the attacker.

Safe mode Booting

There is a Windows Safe Mode Booting option available which one can use to get rid of any network or security threats. You would have to restart your computer and keep tapping the F8 key. This will help you to boot your computer in Safe Mode. The desktop icons will appear large in size then normal. Once the computer has booted in Safe Mode, you may use the installed anti-virus on your computer to scan your computer. Once the scan is complete and the threat is taken care of, boot your computer to normal mode by restarting it.

rasmon.dll malicious dll file

The rasmon.dll is a malicious .dll file that contains Win32/Mdmbot.B trojan. If you computer hosts this file then it means that your computer is attacked by Win32/Mdmbot.B trojan. The execution of this rasmon.dll causes the trojan to be placed in the temp folder by the file name as: c_1758.nls. The
    • HKLM\Software\Sun\1.1.2\"IsoTp"
    • HKLM\Software\Sun\1.1.2\"AppleTlk"

entries are also created in the Windows registry so that the trojan can be executed every time the computer is started and also prevents the trojan from being deleted.

Tips to prevent any malware, spyware, virus or any reality security threat

The first thing to secure your computer from any security threats is to install the official Windows operating system rather then the pirated ones. The reason is that Microsoft always keeps updating about the latest threats on the network to all its officially registered user. The automatic updates will always alarm your system about the latest known threats by Microsoft. You may use the anti-virus of your choice but always make sure that it is updated periodically as and when the updates for it are available. Install Firewall to guard the network traffic. You can make use the Windows Firewall as well.

Restore the Windows

There are instances where in the detected Trojan or Spyware does not get deleted. The reason is that it has most probably made an entry in the registry to re-generate itself on each system start-up. But the Windows System Restore feature can also be made use of in such scenario to restore your Windows to a normal safer point. This feature of Windows will undo the settings upto to the selected point. I had a Trojan infection on my Dell laptop which I was able to delete by restoring Windows.