Thread: What is fidbox.dat & fidbox.idx files

What is fidbox.dat & fidbox.idx files

I had installed Windows Xp on my system. I had also installed Kaspersky antivirus program, in order to protect my system from getting affected from viruses. Just few days back i was defragging my hard disk and had noticed a very large file that I didn't immediately recognize on my windows folder - fidbox.dat. I found suspicious files, but totally locked (superhidden, can't copy or anything). It was located in C:\WINDOWSSystem32\drivers and nearly 500mb in size. So, can any body tell me that What is fidbox.dat & fidbox.idx files? Any one has any idea about it? Kindly provide me the correct information on the above issue. Thanks.

Re: What is fidbox.dat & fidbox.idx files

Did you, at one time, download and scan with Kaspersky Antivirus? They are Kaspersky items. The file is related to KAV iswift technology. They are used to store file Scan data. I believe the fidbox files contain iSwift data and file scan information. The file fidbox.dat which is created by Kaspersky Anti-Virus in the system folder %windir%\system32\drivers contains the information about not infected objects already scanned by Kaspersky Anti-Virus. I.e. the more files Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 for Windows Servers Enterprise Edition has scanned the bigger size the file fidbox.dat acquires.

It's a folder where windows keeps all it's drivers. if you delete this folder, your USB ports would not work, your graphics won't display properly and etc. The file stores only actual information about files really existing in the system, if any file is deleted, the information about this file is deleted from the file fidbox.dat too.

If you remove fidbox.dat, it just reappears - starts very small and over time grows and grows and grows. You should be able to find it in your Windows Explorer, once found, right-click it, and under properties, it will give you all the properties and the attributes at the bottom. I just deleted my 4Gb version and after only 24 hrs it is already 55Mb. If Kaspersky has been successfully uninstalled, there should be nothing on your PC accessing it, and you should be able to delete it.

The fidbox.dat and fidbox.idx files can be deleted only when the system is booted in safe mode. To kill these, first delete their keys in the registry (while in safe mode) and then remove the files on the next boot. While you are there do the same for the srescan keys and deletete it's file (this is the spyware scanner driver).

The fidbox.dat file only stores information about files that really exist in the system, if any file is deleted, the information about this file is deleted from the file fidbox.dat as well. For more information, you can check out the following link. Yes it is a known problem and ideally it would not happen at all, but the point i made, is that to be in a situation where you need to use those virus-removal-tools, means that your system is already infected and probably damaged, it hard to program for every possibility in every set-up, let alone when you throw in the variables of a malware damaged OS.