Thread: After Disconnecting my LAN Cable, System Boots.!!

After Disconnecting my LAN Cable, System Boots.!!

I am facing very strange problem. When I started my system two days before, it didn't start. After doing some R&D, I came to conclusion that my system is booting only if I disconnect the LAN cable. From then onwards whenever I want to start my system, I should look that LAN cable is disconnected otherwise it won't start. I don't know whether its problem of operating system or my LAN cable. I am using the Windows XP as my OS. Can someone explain me, why this is happening.? Please help to sort this issue.!
    "Let us remember that our interest is in concord, not conflict, and that our real eminence rests in the victories of peace, not those of war." -McKinley

Re: After Disconnecting my LAN Cable, System Boots.!!

I think that you might have went in the BIOS and changed the setting of the boot priority. That's why while starting it checks the LAN and doesn't start. So go in the BIOS and change that settings again. You might have checked the option "Boot on LAN" config unknowingly. So uncheck that option and might your problem will be solved.

Are you able to connect the LAN once you start your system. If you are not able to connect the LAN after starting then check the LAN port on your motherboard. There are very rare chances of hardware damage, but it can happen. So check the LAN cable and port by inserting another LAN cable. This will help to troubleshoot your problem easily.

Even I think that you might had accidentally checked the option "Boot on LAN" that's why it is not allowing you to insert the LAN cable before the system boots. Uncheking that option will solve the issue. You can find this option is BIOS "Boot Device". In that check the Boot Priority. Remove the LAN option if it is enabled. You can go to BIOS by pressing the F2 while starting the system.

If nothing is working then try to repair your Windows XP. You can do this by inserting the bootable CD of Windows XP. Don't select the repair option that comes at the first time. Select the partition and click OK, to install the XP on the same partition that it was installed before. Then it will say that there is already OS present in that drive with two options : 1. Format and Install and
    2. Repair the Existing OS.
    Now click on repair and then let the system do the repairing.

I think that disabling the option "Boot on LAN" will solve the issue. But if it is not working then you will have to try to repair the OS. Repairing will definitely fix the issue. If you are not succeeding to fix that even after the repair, then there is hardware problem. Maybe your LAN port or cable is not working properly.