Thread: Sniffer network with broadcast frames

Sniffer network with broadcast frames

Hello,
    I need a network sniffer on linux, but with the special power for forwarding frames and receiving. Specifically, I need to retrieve and UDP packets in the retransmit tcp-ip. Would you know a way to do this? Other any other way than this to achieve the same? Thank you
    Last edited by cyber-noob; 24-12-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Re: Sniffer network with broadcast frames

Hello,
    I need a network sniffer on linux, but with the special power for forwarding frames and receiving.
    Regarding the recovery of frames you can use the following Wireshark(ethereal) Snort (sniffer mode) or Tcpdump. I think this can also be used for the conversion of frames, though not sure about this. You can try it and see if it is useful for you. Any more help needed post back.

Hi,
    I'm working on a communication stack that sends messages on UDP port. I develop a test scenario that sends messages in the stack (simulating an application) by tcp-ip. The tester must get the message out of the stack also tcp-ip. Hence the utility to recover the UDP packets and turn them into tcp-ip, without changing the data themselves.

Hey
    I do not understand your need but I am not sure that you are obliged to pass by a sniffer. You have an application that sends UDP packets to a server using an application protocol unimportant for now. What you want now is to receive UDP packets and TCP in turn refer them to another server without changing the data. I do not see why we need a sniffer in it.

Hi
    Although the problem is to use simple socket requires that the message is intended for the listener socket. (unless I did not understand everything).
    Here the message is sent to an IP address which is not the pc. So basically I need to retrieve a frame. But I managed through libpcap (tcpdump uses the lib) to listen to udp port and retrieve the payload of the frame. By cons, just out of curiosity, you see another way to sniffer? If you any other option please let me know?

Hi
    I have a trick see if it works with you, in order to serve:
    1) retrieve frames.
    2) recover the payload / source-destination port / ip
    3) forge packets oneself
    Maybe this is a track.
    I can provide examples of script if necessary. Hope this helps you.