Thread: Problem using telnet through a VPN tunnel

Problem using telnet through a VPN tunnel

Hi,

I created a VPN tunnel between 2 routers Sonic Wall. It seems that no one can telnet to the remote sites. Using telnet through a VPN tunnel, I get the error message, could not open connection to host on port 23: Connection failed. I checked the directory service that is disabled, because I had a good look at the other disabled telnet server and I did the test that they were all related to success, but one of them is creating problem, I think.

re: Problem using telnet through a VPN tunnel

Have you checked the configurations, which you have used to while configuring the sonic router. I think the best way is to use SSH instead of using telnet, usually telnet router are isn't setup to do encryption but you can do it with implementing the modern telnet router.

Re: Problem using telnet through a VPN tunnel

Email / DRC and FTP seem to be problematic with VPN connections using PPPoE in 800 series routers. If either of these two do not work, then need to change would be the router / PPPoE and PPPoA possibly changing, or using TCP / IP-MSS adjust entries.

You can check by removing the port forwarding to 10.0.0.5 and tries to connect through the VPN. You can also confirm that port 25 is accessible through the Internet. Just to show that the port forwarding. Access is a list of successes for the ports is somewhat OK. Another thing to mention is that it has negotiated dialer0 address, so your IP address to the destination server will be subject to change.

You can try the below 3 things :

1. Check whether your external Ip is connected via VPN.
    2. Which Operating system are you using, if you are using Win XP ect telnet is disabled by default.
    3. Telnet sents insecure passwords in plain text. Look at ssh or using telnet over a vpn if you are unable to connect.