Thread: What are the tips for secure internet banking?

What are the tips for secure internet banking?

See I am not new to the banking or online banking. I have a complete knowledge of threats related to the online banking. Banks have introduced the counter measures for minimizing the risk. But the thing is that the risk is only minimized not completely removed. I do not want to be targeted by the computer hacker or want to be the victim of online banking frauds. Staying away from online banking is not possible for me in this fast growing world. So I just want to know, whether there are any preventive measures or tips which I can follow to reduce the risk of online banking.

Re: Use URL for accessing bank sites.

Always access your bank by typing correct Uniform Resource Locator (URL) into your browser whether it American standard bank, Standard Chartered Bank or any other bank. Try not to click on a link which given as a part of your e-mail or e-mail attachment. Never enter your personal details in your email or any unauthorized website. If you have any doubt regarding the authentication of your website please contact your bank. Never enter your password detail in any of the convincing mails, because this kind of information must be kept secret.

Re: Be careful about your bank credentials.

There are many hackers around the world who sends very convincing emails offering you the chance to make some easy money. And for making easy money they will ask your confidential details. Try not to be conned by such email. Be careful of unsolicited emails from overseas, because it is very hard to prove legitimacy of the overseas organization. Most important, update your antivirus software at the regular interval of time to protect your personal computer from any kind of Trojan’s.

Re: Secure your offline and online information.

Try not to use Internet cafes computers for accessing bank sites. Those computers can be targeted easily by Trojan horse virus which can pass your confidential information to a hacker. Try to keep your identity private offline. Your identity can be as easily stolen offline so do not forget destroying PIN numbers and expired bank cards. Destroy not needed bank and other statements that contain confidential information. It will be wise to store confidential documents in an appropriate locked and fireproof container.

Re: Check for the secure socket layer.

Do not forget to check that your banking sessions are secure or not. If your banking sessions are not secure then don’t enter your username and password. There are two simple indicators that will tell you that your banking session is secure. The first is used in the address bar of Firefox. Mozilla Firefox changes the color of the address bar if you are in a secure session. The presence of a digital certificate which is represented by a padlock or key in the bottom right hand corner is another indicator for secure session. When you double click on that icon it will give you the information related to the organization with this you have entered in a secure session.

Re: Logout complete after the end of your banking session.

Some internet users have a habit of login and they forget to logout. This is the most dangerous thing they are doing. Because when you are logged in and you are not present on the computer than any other person can use your credentials. So it is very much important to completely log off from your Internet banking session, and remember one thing closing of the window will not log of you from the banking session. I will also advise you disconnect from the internet if you are not surfing the internet.