Thread: Don't know what is DOS(Denial of service attack)

Don't know what is DOS(Denial of service attack)

Hi all,

Some where in the inter net security book I have read the DOS(Denial of service attack) word. I didn't hear about this type of the attack. I want to know about the nature of the Denial of service attack. Is it related to the internet?or any special type of attack?.
    Please let me know about the DOS(Denial of service attack) . Your help will be greatly appreciable.

Re: Don't know what is DOS(Denial of service attack)

DOS is the abbreviation of the Denial of service attack. It is also referred as DDoS which stands for Distributed Denial of service attack. In this type of the attack the users of the computer are not able to access the computer resources. In this type of the attack the user can not access some web- site, he gets error while accessing those web sites. The high profile websites are basically targeted by the Denial of service attack. This high profile website may include credit-card payment gateways, banks, may be some root name-servers.

Denial Of Service Attack(DOS):
    *. DOS attacks specially over the networks ,in which this attacks try to flood the network with the large traffic, so that the speed of that perticular network get down.
    *. The example of the Denial Of Service Attack are Teardrop attacks and Ping of Death.These type of attacks try to bring the limitations over the TCP/IP protocols.
    *. We are able to fix all different type of the Denial Of Service Attacks, there are various security software are available which are able to avoid the damage of the network.
    I hope this information is useful for you.

There are different types of the DOS(Denial of service attack) which as follows:

I). Smurf Attack:In this type of attack attacker spoofs the source of the Internet Protocol address as the Internet Protocol for the intended victim.
    II). Land Attack:This attack is identical to the SYN type attack.
    III). SYN (Flood Attack) .
    IV). UDP ( Flood Attack).
    V). Teardrop Attack: In this type of the attack data breaks into fragments.
    VI). Ping Of Death.