Thread: Files with a lock icon on windows 7

Files with a lock icon on windows 7

Hello. I find a problem with my files that has been stored into my system. I use a desktop system with Windows 7 As the operating installed in it. Its been quite a few days that I see a lock icon on some of the files that I try to access. Due to this I am not able to view those files. i recently bought a Seagate Hard disk drive and the problem is associated with the files stored in it. Is there an issue with the hard disk drive. Please help.

Re: Files with a lock icon on windows 7

This is basically not the issue of the hard disk drive. The problem may be associated with the operating system. The operating system that you use which is Windows 7 has a feature called a bitlocker. This is basically a tool which encrypts certain files and folders in order to give access only to the desired user who has created or done the same. The bitlocker might be enabled. Disable the feature it might help you out then

As you see lock icon on the file that you have saved it on your disc the problem may e related to file sharing and accessing permisibility. A user might have given restrictions or provided some security to the files so that no one other than that user can get access to it. There can be a kind of homegroup or any user account group that would allow you to allow access.

It is a real case of authorization. This means that you may not be authorized to view or write any contents to the file. It is been restricted to access. Try to access the file using some other account if it does exists in your system. The admin account would preferably help you to do this. If still you are not able to open it then the issue is based with the file that it might have gone corrupt or a virus.