Thread: Connecting to a remote computer using TELNET

Connecting to a remote computer using TELNET

Hello everyone,
    I am trying to connect to one of my remote computers. I tried to do this with the help of many services, but nothing works. Then, recently I got a suggestion from one of my friends to use TELNET. So, I wanted to know what is TELNET, is it possible to connect to a remote computer using TELNET? If yes, kindly tell me how to do it. I am using Windows Vista Home edition. Does the operating system has anything to do with TELNET?

Re: Connecting to a remote computer using TELNET

Yes, it is indeed possible to connect to a remote computer using TELNET. You simply need to follow the following steps:
    1. Firstly, get a telnet program, that is client installed onto your system. Windows has HyperTerminal on it that helps you to perform many operations for TELNET. You can also go to any website of softwares and get a commercial TELNET CLIENT from there.
    2. Now, once you have installed the telnet client, open the telnet program.
    3. The telnet address has to be entered into the address box. Now, click on OK.
    4. After that, you have to enter the LOGIN ID. If you are entering into an anonymous site, then you will be allowed do a guest login or else you can also use your EMAIL ADDRESS.
    5. After logging in, you have to follow the instructions that appear on the screen because it depends on how the host setup has been created for you.

TELNET is a protocol in the TCP/IP setup which enables a set of instructions/rules to exchange data/information between 2 computers. So, it is possible to connect to a remote computer using TELNET. Telnet is a way to log into a remote computer from some other computer. Telnet is usually used to connect computers that do the hosting of MOOs and MUDs. That means it is a multi user communication like the chatting applications. Telnet is a method to check out your Emails at whatever place you are.

Inorder to connect to a remote computer using TELNET, you should have the knowledge of the IP address, username and password. You need to go to the start, then go to run and type TELNET in it. At this time, the telnet program begins. If you want to connect remote computer, the sit name has to be opened. To terminate the TELNET program, QUIT command has to be typed in the telnet window.