Thread: Cannot see network Print device over VPN

Cannot see network Print device over VPN

I'm setting up a small network in a remote location with x1 PC, x1 Network Print Device, x1 ADSL router.

The main office i work in uses a Unix server that runs our accounts package. When a report is run from the account package the Unix server will print to designated network (i.e. connected via cat5 to data points) print devices around the main office.

My aim is to get the the Unix server to ping the remote print device. Once the Unix server can see the print device i'm up and running.

My set up in the remote location is this:

I have 1 router (IP is 10.0.20.254) connected to the internet on its own ADSL line with an external IP
    The router is configured as a DHCP server handing out an IP range 10.0.20.50-200
    I have the PC connected to the network (plugged into the router directly via cat5) via DHCP (IP is 10.0.20.50) (subnet 255.0.0.0)
    I have a print device connected to the router (again plugged into the router directly via cat5) set up with an IP address 10.0.20.12 (shared as ‘HP3550’) (subnet 255.0.0.0)
    All works fine in this configuration everything can *see* each other on the remote LAN.

I can connect back to the main office by setting up the remote PC (xp sp3) using a VPN client that connects to the main office VPN server.

Now – when I open the VPN connection to the main network from the PC I receive an IP from the remote and routing assess server – all good.
    The IP address handed to the PC (for this example) is 10.0.19.58 (subnet 255.255.255.255)
    I can ping the Unix server from the PC (10.0.19.7) - success
    I can ping the remote PC from Unix server(10.0.19.58) - success

What can I do so the Unix server can see the print device? Currently it cannot been seen by Unix on the main office network. Addtionally when the VPN line is open the PC in the remote location cannot print to the print device either. Could this be related?

PLease note that this isn't a Unix specific issue as the Windows servers on the main office network cannot see the print device either.

Really appreciate any help here.
    Last edited by swarf69; 25-11-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Re: Cannot see network Print device over VPN

The VPN client disables you probably had access to your local network. This is done for security reason. Speaking times but the admin in your corporate network to it. If he thinks that this is justifiable, he should be able to tell you how to do it quickly. Depending on what you have for a client he'll always have the unlock. I assume that your LAN network segment that is the same as VPN peer. And if your default gateway VPN server, all packages run only to the VPN server, then go there, the packages lost, because either a machine already uses this IP or there is no device with the IP.