Thread: How to access folder over LAN with authenticaltion dialogue

How to access folder over LAN with authenticaltion dialogue

Hi everyone,
    My laptop is installed with basic Windows Vista setup. I am connected to a internal network. Sharing folders work fine, but I want to share the user folder and that to in such a way that the remote users should be asked for a username and password. So, to start with I set the permissions of the user folder so that only the administrators and authenticated users can access the folder. Before Vista I had Windows XP pro, I used to follow the same procedure to access a users folder and when I clicked on the folder I would get an authentication dialogue box, then I used to enter the user name and password and access the folder. But this is not working with my Vista Home edition. A few days before my friend told me that even the Windows XP Home Edition has the same problem. I just want to know that is this the restriction of a Home Edition or am I doing something wrong to access the folder? Any help or suggestion will be appreciated.

Re: How to access folder over LAN with authenticaltion dialogue

Hello
    Yes my friend there are some limitations in the Home Edition, both for windows vista and xp. One of the major limitation is the limited network capability. Since, the Vista machine you have are limited, protecting the individual folder may not be practical. I am not sure if this works perfectly still, create a user account on your vista home edition machine. It will have the same username and password as it was in the XP home edition. See now if you can access the shared resources. This may solve your problem of sharing the folders with authentication dialogue box. And remember one more thing that your user account should have a password, keeping it blank is not a password.

Hi
    Thanks for you help and reply.
    As you said to create a user account with the same username and password as it was in my windows xp home edition, i did tired it but unfortunately it did not worked. Now I am planning to try a different solution, to enable the guest account and set a password for it. And if this works then at least I can protect some of the folder with password. I have not implemented this yet, for time being I have planned it. Now lets see if this works or not. Any one knows any alternated solution to do the same thing, then please do post.

Hi
    Event I have not tried that way which you have posted above. I think folder sharing it pretty simple in both capabilities and configuration. Sorry dear, I do not know any other solutions to perform this task. But I will definitely search for it on internet and if I do get a solution I will post you back. Mean while you try it by your own and if any problems post it, so that we can help you out.