Thread: Can we depend on Windows Vista's Firewall

Can we depend on Windows Vista's Firewall

Hi,
    I usually depends on a third party security software when I am working with Windows XP. But recently I heard that Windows Vista has more new and advanced features than Windows XP. It is fast, secure and much more stable. I have Windows Vista Firewall coming in between and ask me to block or unblock applications. Now this becomes annoying some time. I need some suggestion on this like it is possible to define exceptions of firewall for a particular user. And is the firewall is he bi-directional. Is it fine to depend on it etc. Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Can we depend on Windows Vista's Firewall

The firewall in Windows Vista displays a warning for all programs that connect to a port unconventional, those listening on a TCP socket (potential trojan hair) or those who simply are not in the basic rules of the Firewall. No, the settings are set to the machine and therefore, all users, including administrators, have the same settings. Yes the new firewall is bi-directional, meaning it will analyze the incoming and outgoing traffic. But by default the outgoing traffic will not be activated, it will activate it yourself.

Throughout the development period, the firewall has undergone heavy testing of security it has succeeded (otherwise it would not be integrated into the system). For most configurations, you may find it more than adequate and provide adequate protection against external attacks. There will always be attacks by viruses (mail files) but it falls in the user. It also works well with one than another. You can use it in an IPv6 environment.

Yes very much, firstly by an improved quality of its filters, filtering possible on incoming and outgoing traffic and especially on a much more precise customization. You can allow or block a program (as before) or when a port. You can also do IP filtering to only allow the communications to and from a specific IP address. But also the filtering services and especially an MMC highly developed and more functional. Finally, the full integration of IPsec in order, for example, pass only traffic secure. And all is well and blocked inbound connections are denied, and the system will not be in a vulnerable state even in case of failure.