Thread: Dial up error 50 - The request is not supported.

Dial up error 50 - The request is not supported.

Hi,

I have a windows xp computer. Whenever I try to dial out I get an Error 50, message telling me that the request is not supported. I just went through a malware clean up and have been told that my machine is clean. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the modem to no avail. What is the above error? Have I got a correctly set up scheduled backup task or not?

Re: Dial up error 50 - The request is not supported.

Can you tell us how your network is set up and Are you using Windows generic drivers or using drivers that came with the modem? You can test that came with the modem and check the settings of your dial-up connection. Try to create a new connection with all the same username / password.

One thing that seemed to work for a time was the removal of the modem in Device Manager and Add / Remove> turn off then unplug the computer> remove the modem hardware of the computer> plug in and start the computer. When the pc fully starts repeat everything except ''re''installing the modem hardware. This seemed to be the most reliable and has worked for others.

Dial up error 50 can occur if the RAS or damaged NDISWAN component. The problem can occur after removing some 3rd party program, such as AT & T dial up program because the uninstallation program can not be designed very well. To solve this problem, follow steps.

1. Remove the modem driver in Device Manager.
    - Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
    - Click on Hardware, Device Manager. Click on the + sign by modem, right click and
    uninstall modem.
    2. Remove the dial and remove 3rd party RAS related
    program if any.
    3. Run the attached file to install RArepair.exe, then run to RArepair.exe
    install components of RAS. Reboot the system.
    4. Reinstall the modem driver and line up the 3rd party program if
    required by your ISP.
    5. Recreate the phone and see if this resolves the problem.

To remove error 50, use a text editor (such as MS-DOS Editor) to add the following line to the [MS$SMC3K] section of the PROTOCOL.INI file in the DOS directory:

[MS$SMC3K]

XT_TYPE = 1

If the initial sign-on message indicates the incorrect machine type, you can set an optional parameter (XT_TYPE) to override the automatic determination of computer type. The setting XT_TYPE = 1 informs Protocol Manager that the computer is an 8088/8086 computer. The setting XT_TYPE = 0 informs Protocol Manager that the computer is an IBM PC/AT-compatible computer.

The SMC 3000 Series network interface cards (NICs) are manufactured by Standard Microsystems Corporation, a vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding these products' performance or reliability.