Thread: Active Directory IP and DNS Issues

Active Directory IP and DNS Issues

I'm having major issues with my Active Directory Server. Here is the issue. My company has acquired a failing company who had a safisticated network configured. We had to move the network from one location to the next. During this move, I was careful to reconnect all the servers, switches and routers as they were connected at the previous location.
    The only difference, we switched internet service providers. Different IP addresses and such. After bringing the network up from the move, all servers came online, I could connect to the systems and all client pcs were connecting. Of course, no internet on the network. Logged into the Sonic Wall Router and changed the IP address from the service provider. After the change, I still had no internet. Believed the issue to be DNS related. From the Active Directory, I was unable to ping www.yahoo.com nor it's IP address. But from all the other servers and client pc's, I could ping the IP address of www.yahoo.com but not the DNS name. Now all the DHCP is assigned from the Active Directory. So I'm confused as to how my client pc's and all other servers can access outside the network, but not the Active Directory. Now I have bypassed the DNS settings in the Active Directory to allow the Client PC's and other servers to connect to the internet. All is working fine. But my active directory still will not connect to the internet. I have verified the Gateway and DNS settings in Active Directory.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Nick

Re: Active Directory IP and DNS Issues

Active Directory functionality depends on the proper configuration of the DNS infrastructure. For more information you can check out the following link. Lots of times when creating a brand new domain or promoting a computer that does not have DNS installed or correctly configured, Active directory does not properly configure the DNS name space for your new domain.

Re: Active Directory IP and DNS Issues

Thanks Shen,
    I found out my whole problem was a Bad Patch Cable. I replaced the cable and now I am golden! Just a bad incident!
    Thanks
    nick