Thread: Does Dell PowerEdge R410 suit our needs

Does Dell PowerEdge R410 suit our needs

We have an application of three-dimensional modeling that we use for the time locally. Everyone uses the power of his position to run this application. The problem is that this application is very greedy: some models require several tens of seconds of computation on a workstation with about 3GHz and 3.2 GB RAM. Our desire is to deploy an HPC server, which could make all the calculations in record time and this does not limit with a single active user, but dozens. I wondered then if the Dell PowerEdge R410 would satisfy us.

What do you think? Should I take more powerful servers?

Re: Does Dell PowerEdge R410 suit our needs

Like almost all Dell servers, the R410 is customizable to wish therefore depending on the configuration you take, it could be more than enough for your needs.

I think the best thing to do in your case is to contact the editor of your modeling application and know the recommendations for a case like yours (10 users simultaneous connections?, Database size, type of RAID advised...). In addition, some older application does not take advantage of the many core processors lately. This is a detail not overlooked when purchasing your server.

We are our own editor, but I'll try to find out more with a possible purchase. We have at least 50 active users per day. If the server was deployed, the connections would be simultaneous. What are good questions to ask?

In addition, some older application does not take advantage of the many core processors lately. This is a detail not overlooked when purchasing your server.
    Why?

The answer is very simple, the basic of your application was not developed for managing multi-threaded and so it will only use one core of processor instead of 2 on a Core 2 Duo, for example.

Beware the R410 is very noisy in my experience, great machine if you have a dedicated room for it but don't put this in your office.