Thread: Problem of domain controller naming

Problem of domain controller naming

I deployed a few days to a domain controller on a site that my company will run for file server. I called server as abc.xyz.com and domain name for the logon client is XYZ. No particular problems until I learn that a third company in our company has set up a web server whose URL is http://xyz.com

The website is accessible from the outside (for the world) but since the site itself or when a user types the URL field, it falls on my file server that shares the same root DNS server on web. I know that the user can land on my server by typing the ip of my server.

Forwarders are configured on the server to redirect clients to external DNS. If keying the ip of the web server, it falls on the site but type the URL if it falls on my file server. I must repair it quickly. How?

Is this the problem of domain controller naming and is it possible to change it?

Re: Problem of domain controller naming

It is not possible to rename the website? The trick here is squarely on your domain name, it will mess I think. Otherwise yes, if you remake a new active directory domain it will work for sure. To my knowledge we can not change the server name but domain name AD can be fixed anytime.

And your users just need access to the website xyz.com? If not, well then you have to worry. If your users must absolutely enter this site, you can fiddle with DNS, but it would be best to rename your domain. There is a procedure for renaming but if you have one DC and several client machines, I think it will be easier to delete your domain to better recreate.

I have only one server. If I rename the domain, users can no longer log in, until I re-register each machine on the new domain and I migrate the user docs into the new local profile, the users will be blocked for a day at least! how can I proceed?

how should I rename? How should we proceed, what are the steps on the server and machines? Should I re-register each computer account on the new domain?